Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to connect to Excel events - stuck in loop

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,  I used to work with part families and edit tables in NX with Excel, but that quit working (I have no idea why) and now I get a spreadsheet pop-up window stating "Failed to connect to Excel events".   I contacted our helpdesk a few times. They had no idea how to fix the problem, so I abandoned even trying to use part families or edit the tables with NX.  I just do "work arounds" to get around it.

I am now trying to update an NX drawing that has a lot of tables.  For the first several tables, I was able to edit the table without using Excel and everything worked fine.  Then I got to another table that looked exactly the same as the other tables.  I tried to edit the table exactly the way I successfully edited the other tables, but this time I got the same old spreadsheet pop-up stating "Failed to connect to Excel events".  The "slightly" irritating thing about this is that after I hit OK in the pop-up window, NX keeps trying to edit the table and this goes on repeatedly until I shut down NX with the Task Manager.

Questions:

1.  Is there a way to stop this process/loop without me having to completely get out of NX?

2.  Does anyone have any idea why two tables can look exactly the same and one work and the other does not?

3.  Is there anything that I can do to change the failing table so that I can edit it - or do I need to re-create the table?

4.  Anyone know of a fix so that I can use Excel again? 

I had this problem before with NX/Excel not working together.  Someone recommended a fix and it worked.  Later on, same problem occurred and I tried the same fix, but it did not work that time.

Thanks

17 REPLIES

Re: Failed to connect to Excel events - stuck in loop

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

When you edit a tabular note with the spreadsheet option, NX remembers that and uses the spreadsheet the next time the tabular note is edited. To change this, select your tabular note and use the "edit without spreadsheet" command. This will disconnect the tabular note from the spreadsheet.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @cowski1,  I was actually doing that with the other tables and it worked OK.  With this table, the "edit without spreadsheet" command wasn't even available.  It only had the option "Edit Using Spreadsheet".  Is there something that would make one table different than another?  Thanks

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Have you tried the option in part cleanup to Delete Spreadsheet Data?

p-cleanup.JPG

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace Connecticut
www.senioraeroct.com
Production: NX11.0.2.7, Vericut 8.0.3
Development: Tcl/Tk
Testing NX12.0

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@joycejo,  I hadn't seen that before, so I just tried it.   Unfortunately, I got the same spreadsheet pop-up "Failed to connect to Excel events".  Thanks for the suggestion, though.  It was worth a try. 

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @s_hightower,

Which exact versions of NX and Excel are you using?

Regards, Ben

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As Ben asks, it could be you are using an unsupported version of Excel.

The other possibility is that the ug.xla "plug in" to Excel got deleted or turned off.

- Open Excel (e.g. from start menu)

- open a blank workbook

- File -> options -> Add-ins

- Make sure the "Ug" add-in is pointing to the correct UG.XLA file (look at the path), and make sure it is in the "active" section of the list (rather than the "inactive" or "disabled" sections..)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It's not necessarily that it's unsupported, it could be that his version of NX 10 needs to be upgraded (maintenance release or maintenance pack) in order for it to function correctly with Excel. Better to check this first rather than a bunch of other workarounds that will only work if he has the correct MR or MP installed.

If you're using Excel 2016, make sure you have at least NX10.0.2 mp7 or NX10.0.3 mp3 installed.

If you're using Excel 2013 - try @Ken_A's suggestion of checking the add-in is correct, but also make sure the add-in is checked.  With the Excel Add-in's dialog open select the "Go" button at the bottom for "Manage: Excel Add-ins" and make sure the "Ug" add-in is checked.  One trick in the past was to uncheck the Ug add-in, close Excel and locate ug.xla in the %UGII_BASE_DIR%\UGII folder and double click it - which opens Excel.  Repeat the procedure to make sure the Ug add-in is checked, exit Excel and see if that fixes the problem.

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @BenBroad, sorry for the delay.  Just got back from lunch with my wife - we went to Sam's (big spenders, I know...).   I'm using NX 10.0.3.5 MP11and Excel 2016.   Is that the info you needed?  Thanks

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @Ken_A, this is the process that I followed one  time and it worked - next time it didn't.  I just tried it again and  this time I got an Excel automation error "COM error code 800401fd" before I got the typical cannot connect pop-up.