Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Control Frame location in PMI

Experimenter
Experimenter

Does anyone know of a way to make feature control frames not interfere with dimensions when they are snapped into position on a horizontal dimension in PMI? 

If you place a horizontal or cylindrical dimenion in PMI and want to put a seperate feature control frame under it, it will snap into place and have the lower extension line going through it.  You can resize your extension lines by dragging, but not individually, so the upper has a giant gap.  Any ideas? 

9 REPLIES

Re: Feature Control Frame location in PMI

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I usually add this type of FCF as append text instead of using the FCF command.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

What version of NX are you using?  If you're using NX 10 you can add jogs to the individual extension lines for the horizontal dimension.  Is there a reason why you can't place your dimension outside of the extension lines so that t he FCF does not interfere?

Siemens Phenom
As there are many ways you can style dimensions, can you post a screen shot so we get a clear example of the problem?

Siemens Phenom

WARNING:  Creating a PMI feature control frame (FCF) using the Annotation Editor is not a recommended practice, especially if you intend to reuse the PMI in a downstream application.  Each PMI object type contains specific information that is processed by downstream applications.  If you create an FCF using the Annotation Editor, it shows up as a PMI Note object (instead of a Feature Control Frame object). You can see this by examining the objects on the PMI node of the Part Navigator. The PMI Note object may not be correctly interpreted as an FCF object by downstream applications.

Gears Phenom

Well that is no good! Good information DEckhoff  

Please Ignore my suggestion as adding it as text in previous post. 

Sorry for the poor practice.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Feature Control Frame.png

This is the issue I have when simply snapping into position. 

Siemens Phenom

It looks like we could benefit from the "Scope" option including the "Text to Line Gap" Setting option.  This issue was reported and converted to an ER (6253817).  The ER requests that the dimension line be trimmed to the FCF when stacked on a PMI dimension.  I just checked, and this does not appear to have been implemented in NX11.

While Drafting has an option to insert a GAP (user defined symbol) on an FCF created as drafting annotation (non-PMI), it does not work on inherited PMI (whether inherited in the view or on the drawing sheet).  If you're dimensioning in Drafting, and you really must have the FCF stacked this way, you could keep the PMI in modeling and recreate the dimensions in drafting using the GAP symbol to trim the dimension line.  The only workarounds I see for PMI dimensions inherited in Drafting, or in Modeling, are to edit the Text To Line Gap - which leaves the giant gap at the top.

Regards, Ben

Gears Phenom

Another "work around" I have used is to align one of the datum separator bars in the FCF frame up with the dimension line using the select origin tool. I do not know if this works with them PMI. It works in 2D. This may be a little bit more robust for downstream solutions. I do not know if this associates the FCF with the dimension like the stacking does??

Creator
Creator

PMI.pngPMI dimension line gap

In NX 11, you can double-click the dimension to edit it and drag the arrow heads shown in the picture above to adjust the dimension line gap.  It adjusts both sides so it ends up looking off centered, but at least the line isn't running through the FCF.

Unfortunately this doensn't appear to work for basic dimensions.