Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Feature Recognition from STEP or IGES files with NX8

@Emre wrote:

I have added a foto of the "Feature-Recognition in NX8". In NX8 it is called "Find Features" in CAM. But can I edit the Features which are found?

These are Manufacturing features, used with feature based machining to select tools and generate machining processes. They are seen in the Machining Feature Navigator.

They are not modeling features, and not seen in the Part Navigator.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Creator
Creator

Thank you!
You helped me a lot!

Creator
Creator

OK it worked. That it is a good thing. I will mention it in my thesis!

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your video! It worked. I can change hole diameters. This is was not the technique I was looking for but this is also very interesting!
Thanks!

Phenom
Phenom

The way I understand, in NX CAM Feature recognition is that the CAD model should consist number of features and should contain object attributes with them to recognize and to apply machining subroutines accordingly.

When you import a model in to NX (ex. through Parasolid, STEP, STP etc.) it becomes a dumb one feature model and could contain some translation issues too. In any kind of software, this is a huge loss of information and a very unfortunate situation.

In other software there are functions to automatically heal and identify an imported dumb model and then give a breakdown of possible features with their information/definitions (but still not an ideal solution). I haven’t seen this capability in NX modeling. With NX ST, you could manipulate the dumb one feature solid and create features manually.

As MBD / PMI is evolving, in the near future, we could expect some industry standard translators becoming available to preserve valuable model/feature based information through the translation processes.        

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Phenom
Phenom

As a matter of fact I see that already NX STEP & STP translators support PMI. But I haven’t tested them. 

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Creator
Creator

In solidworks we can easily edit the imported step file using FEATURE RECOGNIZE  if the imported file is created by any other s/w(ug,creo anyone) we can edit the features...In unigraphics can i  edit the features like that?????????

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi Vaithilingam,

Currently in NX, there is not a function to recognize "features" when it is imported into NX.

However, using Synchronous modeling commands, you can edit many of geometries as if they were features.

Please give it a try, it’s under modeling.

Sam

Sam Kuan
Highlighted

Creator
Creator

thanks for your reply