Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature pattern

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a hole feature which creates several threaded holes.

I would like to pattern some of the holes (not all of them) but selectiong pattern fetaure I dont know how to choose just some holes and not the whole feature and if I make pattern of the geometry I dont know how to copy the thread. Can someone help me? Thanks

13 REPLIES

Re: Feature pattern

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

You might want to try pattern face instead.

This will allow you to select the exact faces you want to pattern. It won't matter if these faces originate from one or more features. They might even come from imported geometry.

And Pattern Face is much FASTER. Smiley Wink

I didn't read slow enough... it might not work with "holes" and remember their intelligence

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

I tried a bit... I think your best choice will be splitting up the original feature in different ones.

Or pattern all of the original holes anyway and use "delete face" to get rid of the ones you don't want.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Phenom
Phenom
  • Pattern Feature makes a pattern of an existing feature, not just a subset of that feature. So that isn't what you want.
  • Pattern Geometry and Pattern Face make a pattern of existing faces or geometry with out any knowledge of the design intent of the original faces, which in your case is the definition of the threads.

So why not just make a sketch containing a pattern of points defining the hole locations? One Hole feature can then be used.

I don't know what you are doing, but I would question whether you are making a clear statement of your design intent the way you want to model the threaded holes: some with one feature, and some with another. For a set of holes with one design purpose, your design intent will be stated more clearly to the next person who needs to edit this model if they are all in one Hole feature. 

It would seem that it would be better to just edit the sketch used for the first Hole feature, and add more points to this sketch. If you have selected the sketch to define these hole locations, these new hole locations will be added automatically.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Put in your holes using the hole command but instead of using subtract for you boolean use none.  Now you can use pattern geometry (Select solid body) you want, and then use the subtract command .  When I have tried this in the past it worked ok, but in the drawing I have issues trying to put in the features parameters to associate the threads with the hole callout.

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @Javiduc,

I have a hole feature which creates several threaded holes.

When you want to create hole patterns from hole patterns, don't create multiple holes using a single hole feature.

I would like to pattern some of the holes (not all of them) but selectiong pattern fetaure I dont know how to choose just some holes and not the whole feature and if I make pattern of the geometry I dont know how to copy the thread.

If you pattern your initial (single) threaded hole, using Pattern Feature, you can then select instances of that pattern (i.e., individual threaded holes using quickpick) for subsequent patterns - which maintains your threads.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you all.

Mark, I think you are right, making all the holes in a single feature that includes patterns inside the sketch is the best way. Easy to create, easy to edit if needed, and as you said, easy to understand for the next person. I should have thought about that (I have been using patterns inside sketches other times for similar purposes).

Creating multiple single hole features and then pattern just some of them may be a good solution too but it is a bit more time consuming and if design evolves and I need to change holes paramaters I would need to change a lot of features (more time consuming and more mistake leading).

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

FYI

If you want to use PMI in the future with the Hole Callout option this method would not work it would see 1 hole not 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We are not planning to use it soon but maybe in future...

Why it wont see all the holes created with the same fature? I usually create more than just one hole in the same feature, not only with points patterned inside the sketch but sometimes with different points placed and dimesioned manually. It looks like a common way to do things.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I believe the Hole Callout see 1 hole, not multiple holes (one feature), where as the Feature Pattern is now X number of holess, so the callout can display that info.

I've been encouraging feature patterns for this reason to our users.  It's jsut as easy IMHO, and saves typo mistakes on hole quantities.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1