Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File>Import/Export vs. File> Open/Save

Phenom
Phenom

What is the difference between doing File>Import/Export>file type selection and File> Open/Save>file type selection?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

22 REPLIES

Re: File>Import/Export vs. File> Open/Save

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

If you do a file import, your company "seed" file will be used, along with your units of preference.  If you just do a file open, the NX ootb standard "seed" will be used, and the units will be either that of the source, or just metric because that is the ootb default (I have not experimented with the units).

Personally I encourage our users to use File Import.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Phenom
Phenom
What about the Export and Save As?
Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

File > Open - open an existing part

File > Import - import an existing NX, SE, SW, Ideas, Catia part into your current work part (for NX parts it imports objects, features, expressions and views).  You can control the layers that data is imported on to, and the position based on existing CSYS'.  You may experience unit conflicts.  Good for data reuse, or importing data as a reference.

File > Save As - Save changes in your current part to a new part, or you can create copies of the existing part as a new part - good for making similar parts.  Note that 'File > Import' add's a prime (') to imported expressions, whereas Save As keeps the original expression names intact.  You can also use 'File > Save As' to convert your part to different file formats (IGES, STEP, DXF/DWG, Catia).

File > Export > Part - Exports specific objects or drawings to a new (or existing) part file.  You could use this instead of File > Save As if you only wanted to export specific data to a new file.  Alternatively use Save As and then delete what you don't need.  'File > Export' gives you better control over which objects are to be sent to an existing file, versus using using 'File > Import' which imports the entire part file.

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom

Ben,

I’m starting to prefer File>SaveAs to your File> Export preference. (Unfortunately File>SaveAs has less file type options)

If I'm not mistaken, a File>Export of an Assembly (STEP), the Assembly Structure is flattened to a multibody(dumb) Single part. Whereas SaveAs preserve the Assembly file structure and Filenames with the used Reference Set.

File>Export of an Assembly to STEP creates STP files. Not STEP as selected.

I think this is one of the most confusing area in NX, so many options are thrown at the users to figure out their own preference. Actually it’s a hit and miss run. How could we make sure everybody knows what are  differences are? No help given at selection process, just the same window for every selection.

If the Software depends on Personal Preferences how could we work as a team? No wonder why the learning curve is longer.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Phenom
Phenom
With file>open the 'blank' template is used, then the customer default settings are loaded.

Siemens Phenom

Michael,

Correct, "File > Save As" has less filetype options than "File > Export".  Note that there are both (*.stp) and (*.step) extensions in the list - depending on your preference, and that having selected one of these filetypes there is an Options button on the bottom left that allows to refine the result.  File > Export > STEP does not provide both filetypes, so it the (*.step) extension is desired it must be edited manually.

Both "File > Save As" and "File > Export > STEP" preserve the assembly structure and filenames (I just tested).  Note that "File > Open" and "File > Import > STEP" also have the Options button - here you can choose to "Flatten Assembly" if you do not need to preserve the structure.

NX is highly configurable, and we do advise that our users read the instructions ahead of time and understand what each option represents.  With documentation installed correctly, hitting "F1" will activate "Help on Context" for the given command.  The translator dialogs use fairly old code, so as the dialogs change over time tool tips will likely be added - similar to how newer dialogs, such as the Pattern commands have tool tips when you hover over the options.

The Customer Defaults allow an administrator to set the "site" defaults for all users and choose which defaults cannot be changed.  Similarly, the settings (*.def) files for the translators can be edited and locked down by the administrator.  Beyond that, users should be educated such that they work as a team.

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom

Basic functionality is self-explanatory. What I don’t understand is,  why they are scattered?  

Almost each and every File Type got different commands i.e Export/Import and Save/open in two different locations. How could you decide instantly what command to use with a given/required circumstance? 

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Siemens Phenom
Are you suggesting that we only provide translation options from "File > Export" OR "File > Save As"?

Ben

Phenom
Phenom

Ben,

Are you working for Simens NX?

Yes, Bring the commands together, merge the same commands and get rid of the redundant. While selecting options help us to understand the projected results. Show some dynamic support.

Do I have to submit an ER?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW