Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter parts with drawings inside?

Phenom
Phenom

I’m creating MMT drawings of a cloned design. The issue is that many of the parts contain drawings inside them.

Is there a way to filter those parts to delete existing drawings inside? I don’t want to have duplicate and outdated internal drawings (conventional method) which could create problems.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

5 REPLIES

Re: Filter parts with drawings inside?

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

I think that some smart programmer can write a program which queries files on disk to see whether they contain a drawing and/or model and/or component .

When you have these filtered, there is a method to convert "oldstyle-model-and-drawing-in-a-single-partfile" into "master model mode".
It works , keeps all associations.

Regards,

Tomas

Phenom
Phenom

These are very basic requirements and tools needed to do a clean job (5s?) with our daily work and I’m overwhelmed hearing about custom programming. Our focus should be producing quality design work while paying for software and subscription.

Since March 2015 I’d submitted 16 ERs of this kind, ER of very basic tools and I’m not sure if they ever consider them? Am I wasting time? Anyway I’ll submit another one.

mf_20150918_01.JPG

mf_20150918_02.JPG

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Genius
Genius

Tomas is right, files could be queried on disk without opening them, and without programming, the shell is sufficient if you just want to identify NX parts containing a drawing sheet.

Following there is a quick and dirty example about how NX files in a folder (and subfolders) which contain a drawing sheet could be listed

find . -iname *.prt -exec ug_inspect -rm \"{}\" ; | tr -d \r\n | sed s/\Running/\n/g | sed "/UGS::DWG /!d " | cut -c 32-50

Phenom
Phenom

Where would you do this? In the command prompt?

BMT an ER was submited.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Genius
Genius

correct, it is NX Tools -> Command prompt

If you are running a Windows box you may want to have the relevant commands in your path (they can be downloaded for free from the internet).

This is just to test the idea, if it does work for you then a more efficient script could be arranged.

The advantage of this solution is to avoid opening all files, otherwise something similar could be done with VB journals as well.

Once you have a full list then a proper VB journal can be found among samples on UGAnswer which with just a few lines of code would allow you to delete the drawing sheet (or to convert them into regular master model drawing, as Tomas suggested earlier).

VB journal samples are an invaluable asset for users, I suggest you have a look at them.