Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat Pattern orientation pendicular to the existing line ?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello

How to create this Flat Pattern orientation which is pendicular 90*degrees to the existing line ?

Selecting edges.jpg

7 REPLIES

Re: Flat Pattern orientation pendicular to the existing line ?

After selecting 'Upward Face' if you want to orient the flat pattern by selecting edge, You will be able to select an edge that belongs to the selected face only (Upward Face). NX will not allow you to select edge which does not belong to the upward face.

If you create flat solid, move it the way you want and create a flat pattern from it. Notice that it will impact the bend annotation's value. Better you create a flat pattern with default orientation.

Why do you want to orient flat pattern in such a way? Any specific purpose?

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 11 | NX 12 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

How to make a custom Flat-Pattern orientation ?

• So I can make a .DXF export that has bend lines perdicular ?

adadad.jpg

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

i am not sure if this helps your case. Once the view orientation is set you can use this new flat pattern view in your drawing..but the annotations will not be oriented accordingly. 

flatten.jpg

I think we always take a reference of an already existing edge for flat pattern so why do you need to reorient it in any adhoc direction?

Do share your use case it will be really helpful for us.

Regards

Kapil

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Select an edge for orientation in the flat pattern dialog that is either along your bend line or perpendicualr to it.

2017-04-27 14_05_21-NX 11.0.1.11 - Sheet Metal - [sheet_metal_model4.prt (Modified) ].jpg

Create the DXF output and the bend lines will be as defined in the flat pattern.

2017-04-27 14_06_13-Export Flat Pattern.jpg2017-04-27 14_08_27-AutoCAD DXF_DWG Import Wizard.jpg

Is that what you were after?

To orient in a drawing, select the flat pattern view and customize the view; specify the X Direction as required.

2017-04-27 14_27_22-NX 11.0.1.11 - Drafting - [sheet_metal_model4_dwg1.prt (Modified) ].jpg2017-04-27 14_30_32-Orient View Tool.jpg

Your view will be oriented as required

2017-04-27 14_28_08-NX 11.0.1.11 - Drafting - [sheet_metal_model4_dwg1.prt (Modified) ].jpg

Legend
Legend

Hi 12 13 14 44,

In the instance where the part doesn't contain edges that are perpendicular to the parallel bends you're showing then you're out of luck.

You might want to move the CSYS parallel/perpendicular to any of parallel the bend lines and then define a flat pattern without selecting an edge. NX will then align with the CSYS. (but I never do this because it's too cumbersome and not very predictable.)

greetings,

Frank

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

That's not strictly true Frank.  You can select a bend edge and orient through 90deg in drafting using the customized view technique shown in my previous post.  The only time you cannot do this (in NX11 or earlier) is if the part has no straight brake bends.

2017-05-08 11_35_29-NX 11.0.1.11 - Drafting - [sheet_metal_model4.prt (Modified) ].jpg

Legend
Legend

Hi Dave,

I just did a test and you are right Dave.

That might be a good enhancement :-)

Sometimes I even make a fake very tiny edge with the desired direction and use that as the direction line.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend