Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flatten with decals

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Our graphics design, and decal group is tryint to improve their process, and has come to the design department for help.  I showed them how we can add "decals" to a 3D body, and create high res images, and their first quesition was, "can you flatten the side of a car, with the logos on it?".

Stepping back a bit, I know the new forming and flattening tool, is a lot like the old flat pattern tool, but can you make it work like fabric, like the old tool?  because of all the countours on a car, there will need to be some stretching, and darting(cutting) of the vinyle wrap, and I'm not sure how well NX can accomodate that.  My guess is, a fabric flattener would be the best shot.

I made an attempt with Forming and Flattening, and I'm getting self intersecting areas, and these are areas where the wrap will stretch.

Thoughts?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10
3 REPLIES

Re: Flatten with decals

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Dave,

NX12 will have some enhancements to the flattening/forming tool. It will allow you to specify 'rip' edges to handle cases such as you describe. I do NOT know if it will handle the decals.

NX11 is on the left, NX12 is on the right.  Please remember that NX12 is still NOT a released product, and this information is subject to change.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I've also experimented with the Fabric Flat Pattern tool, with better results, with no transfer of the decals.  It looks better, but we have not tried wrapping around an actual car yet.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Legend
Legend
Rip option would be great for my needs, stamped parts
Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro