Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From "Convergend body" to STEP

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

how can I make a Step file from a convergend body?

It only saves the original components... Smiley Frustrated

kind regards,

Linda

6 REPLIES

Re: From "Convergend body" to STEP

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Currently supported export formats are STL and 3MF.

Convergent modeling and reverse engineering

3MF Translation (NX 12.0.1)

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

@BenBroad

thank`s for your prompt reply

that is a pity so as STEP I have no chance?

regards,

Linda

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Convergent bodies are more for scanned objects. I my opinion you shouldn't mix this with STEP. Since convergent bodies do not have edges, it is not possible to create an exact model from a not so exact one.
You can find points on faces and points on facet vertices, but that is about it.
Convergent is used for reverse engineering steps and also can be used as a Tool for Boolean operations.
Many of the examples come from the medical field. They scan bones, teeth and such so that the engineer can use the geometry to cut away from his exact model. You can also use the data to help create an exact model of the part. That is the real goal here. Imagine a part comes in from the field and the data does not exist anymore or there was never real 3D data of it. Instead of getting out the calipers and measuring for a week, you can scan it in and create the exact model from that. Saves time and also reduces measuring mistakes
In closing do not expect that you can convert any data type to a STEP, IGES, DXF or whatever. These formats differ for a reason.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank`s @PhilipCarpenter

we use it for topology optimization and also have interfaces that have edges.

We also use other programs where we would have to import a STEP, for example to check the function.

We are still testing the NX12 tools. 

We are looking for a tool to optimize components and unfortunately we wait more than a month for a feedback from Siemens, we are not exactly convinced of the support / service.
That is a pity and annoying at the same time.

In the forum you get a quick feedback,
I'm glad, thank you for that
Smiley HappySmiley Happy

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @BachmannL!

It's still not clear what your workflows are and how STEP would help them?

If you have a Convergent Body, then at least some of the faces are "facets", to make a simple explanation.

Those sorts of workflows are not typically supported by STEP, but usually use the formats that Ben mentioned.

They are useful for some workflows, but not all, so it's helpful to have more detail on your desired workflows and the end result you hope for.

I'm also interested in what "feedback" are you waiting for from Siemens and what channels you have used.

You've already had at least 2 replies in this thread from Siemens folks, so don't assume your queries are ignored :-)

Pat

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks=)
thats ok, we only wanted to know if ist possible or not Smiley Wink