Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fully constrained sketch behavior - Continuous Auto Dimension

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I’m curious. I would like to know from ones that use sketch more constantly then me.

I know that using Auto Dimensioning makes a cluttered screen, but does it help, or help at all, with minimizing unintended results while applying your own constraints… especially when Adding existing Curves to sketch?

I seem to do OK with it on or off.

Cord
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Fully constrained sketch behavior - Continuous Auto Dimension

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Personally I've turned it OFF by default.  However, if I'm working on a more complex sketch and I get down to where the system is telling me that it needs one or two more constraints but I just don't see a solution I like, I'll often toggle 'Continuos Auto Dimensioning' ON just to see what the system thinks will do the job.  I can then either accept those dimensions by making them active or I can at least use them as a more sophisticated hint than just the DOF symbols as to what sorts of constraints/dimensions might be best to finish the job.

And remember that in the more recent releases (NX 8.5 and newer), you can sort of do something similar yourself, even with the option toggled OFF.  When adding curves to your sketch simply go ahead and enter the numerical values that you want, such as diameters for circles or lengths for lines, and they will automatically be created as full 'driving' dimensions.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Re: Fully constrained sketch behavior - Continuous Auto Dimension

Phenom
Phenom

I have auto dimensions turned off.  I also have most of the implied constraints turned off also.  horizontal, vertical etc. 

I like to know for sure how my sketch is constrained and to what.  I know there is the show/ remove constraints but I find it more tedious to delete unwanted constraints and re add these constraints how I want them.