G2/sectional to a face at an existing point

Genius
Genius

I need to create a Bridge Curve or Studio Spline, that

● starts from a curve end (Purple),
        ● ends at an existing point (near the red pointer) on a face edge, and
        ● is G2/sectional to the face.

Image.png

In Bridge Curve, I first select a point on the face as End Object, and then drag the point on face to the line end. Thus I get a bridge curve that is G2/sectional to the face and associated to the line end. This is GOOD.

Image.pngImage.pngImage.png

However, in Studio Spline, when I drag the point on face to the line end, the target of inferring G2 is changed to the line end automatically. Is it possible to keep the spline G2 to the face and associated to the line end, just as in Bridge Curve? Thanks!

Image.pngImage.pngImage.png

11 REPLIES 11

Re: G2/sectional to a face at an existing point

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Surfactant,

Yes,create the bridge curve between the curve and object (surface) and introduce all the transitional requirements, then while still in creation mode drag the point on the surface to the endpoint of the line.

Best Regards

Fred

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
@surfactant,

Are you having issues with the G2? Try increasing the spline degree to 5. G2 at both ends requires a minimum of 6 poles (5 degree, 3 poles at each end get aligned) for a single segment spline.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Genius
Genius

Hi @Sandman   Thank you for your reply! It's ok with Bridge Curve. My problem is with Studio Spline.

Hi @TimF   Thank you for your reply! The problem is to keep the transitional spline to be G2 to the face, but not to the straight line.

Gears Phenom

@surfactant,

I'm not sure how the Studio Spline will behave when you change the parents but it can be done - you have to MB1 click on the endpoint on the surface, have Snap Point turned on for point on surface, select the surface, then the endpoint to get the iso drag tool (4 arrows) to pop up; then MB3 on the endpoint for the sectional constraint (rotational tool).

Notice I had to increase the degree to 5 in order to get G2 on both ends. Once G2 is locked in, you can play with the next poles to affect tangent magnitude but they will only drag along the locked vector due to the G1/G2 constraints.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you for your video!

I follow your approach to fix the Studio Spline. But it seems that the resulting spline is not associated to the line end. Do I miss something?

Image.png

Gears Phenom

@surfactant wrote:

Hi @TimF   Thank you for your reply! The problem is to keep the transitional spline to be G2 to the face, but not to the straight line.

See the bold above, that's what you said.  Now you're saying something else.  To what do you want to assign G2, the line or the surface?  It cannot be both as it is right now - if you want it to both, the line will have to be projected onto the surface.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF    Thank you! I'm sorry for the ambiguity!

I need to create a Studio Spline, that

● associatively ends at an existing point (near the red pointer, line end) on a face edge, and
      ● is G2/sectional to the face.

Image.png

Gears Phenom

@surfactant,

For the Bridge Curve, you're specifying the U & V percentages to control where on the face the curve ends. Then you're giving it an angle at that end as well. You can do the same thing for the spline - watch the video - I'm entering the SAME values you have entered for the Bridge Curve. You just have to know how to work the manipulator such that you can enter the constraints.  Note how I have to move the interior poles to try and match the Bridge Curve shape - I believe the Bridge Curve evenly distributes the poles - Studio Spline doesn't because it allows the user to do this on his/her own - more direct shape control.

You cannot use the line or a point because that is from where the spline derives the continuity assignment. If you choose the curve, then the spline will be G2 to the curve. If you choose a point, the Specify Continuity manipulator will have to be used.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you for your patience with the question!

For the Bridge Curve, in fact I didnot specify the U & V percentages. And the end of Bridge Curve was associated to the line end by snapping. Yes, in the original example, the associativity can be built through the expression of U & V percentages.

Let me give another exmple below, in which the Bridge Curve can be associated to an intersection point.

Image.pngImage.png

I just wonder whether Studio Spline can work in a similar way.