Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Gear generator

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello experts,

Does NX (1876) has any gear generator tools?

Kind regards,

Majid
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Gear generator

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

@Majid if you are talking abut gear design then no. 

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you are talking about things like stress analysis, no, but a partner - KissSoft (https://www.kisssoft.ch/english/products/kisssoft_gear.php) does.

If you are talking about just creating geometry, You could try this thread:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Spur-Gear-Creation/m-p/426626

Siemens has a "China Toolkit" (probably got the name wrong) that has some gear stuff, but it may or may not be available to you.

If you search the forums, there have also been some GRIP programs to do this.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your replies.

I mean the CAD design for gears.

It is actually unbelivable for me that NX, with this HUGE area of capabilities and tools for design and manufacturing, does not have a tool to design one of the most essential manufacturing concepts like gears!, since I am sure that would not be a challenging or complex mathematical issue for NX. There are even online tools that can perform the task for a couple of Euros.

Anyway, the NXOpen plugin did not work as it needs to be signed with the regarding version of NX. And I evaluated the recomended software and I think it will do the job. The Chinees tool seem to be not available after NX9.

Kind regards,

Majid

Siemens Legend

@Majid From memory as this has been asked for many times, one major reason ( I think I am correct in this) that we do not supply a program to define gears is that if we did, and one designed by the software program failed in service, causing harm, then we would be potentially liable to litigation/law suit. On the other hand you do have the tools in NX to generate a program yourselves that you would be responsible for.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @Paul_Bevan,

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense.

Majid

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note (at one time - 10-20 years ago) Siemens (actually a predecessor) offered a "Gear Wizard".  (I believe KF based).

Not sure why it disappeared (lack of sales or liability or ...)

The "liability" issue seems a bit odd to me - if you don't offer the analysis tools to guide the selection, why would you be any more liable than someone doing the involute & etc. themselves in NX? (but, then again, IANAL - I am not a lawyer ;-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Legend

@Ken_A , I think if we provided an OOTB wizard with our own rules/design parameters and something failed it could be an issue. Not saying it would be, just putting it out there as a reason why there isn't one. I maybe completely off the mark though.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Paul_Bevan , I tried out a couple of softwares that creates geometry for gears, non of them were perfect to me but they do the job with some minor touches.

I agree with the liability part, but my opinion is that clarifying to the users in terms and conditions agreement can fullfil the responsibility requirements. I think HAVING such a handy tool with a certain design tolerances is much better that NOT HAVING it at all. Besides the tools can be improved and become more accurate by the time.

This is what I see in other gear design and analysis softwares. They merely try to transfer these words in their user terms and conditions that: "This software is based on mathematical calculatios, may have errors, may be not accurate, and users are responsible for any real life failure." Actually not the exact phrases, but they try to bring out the point in lawyers way Smiley Happy

Majid

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Majid ,

open an ER or attend @BenBroad to post here some existing. Sorry but we buy gears, so I don't have this needing. I would like to be enhanced some existing feature that lacks from time ago and other software has.

Thank you...

Using NX1876
RuleDesigner PDM