Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had success applying differential equations to sketch expressions?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi all, we're having a bit of difficulty avoiding "circular reference" syntax errors when attempting to add differential equations to sketcher dimension expressions. Has anyone had the same problem and found a workaround?

TIA

4 REPLIES

Re: Has anyone had success applying differential equations to sketch expressions?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Can you provide us with an example of what you're trying to do?  It doesn't have to be the real part, just something with Expressions which are failing.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Re: Has anyone had success applying differential equations to sketch expressions?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for the reply!

It's a rectangle shape constrained with a vertical and a horizontal dimension. I want the expression to cause the horizontal dimension to change so as to maintain the area of the rectangle if the vertical dimension is modified.

I'm thinking of using a Simple Distance measurement of the horizontal parameter in the expression, in place of the horizontal dimension so as to avoid a circular reference.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

May be I dont understand...

Set expression S=1000

Create Scketch with H dimension (any value) and L=S/H

Thats all.

If you will change H - > L will be changed too, keep S constant....

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hey, thanks! I probably was just overcomplicating things.