Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help to convert igs/step into solid body

Phenom
Phenom

Hi guys,

I've cast files that I need to convert to NX solid body, but I'm loosing time. Can someone have the solution ?

Attached igs and step.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

11 REPLIES

Re: Help to convert igs/step into solid body

Phenom
Phenom

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Phenom
Phenom

Open with Solidworks; it will heal automatically and generate a solid body.

(view in My Videos)

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

I wonder how a basic NX license can compete with this 4 year old version of a so called MID-range software...

I hardly ever deal with surfacing so I really have no clou...

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao,

Attached the file with the solid model.
In the layer 10 there are the bodies imported with the step file, in the layer 7 those derived from iges file.
Note that both import modes give the option 'sew surfaces automatically'.
The iges files gave the best result, however I had to use some commands to 'repair' the surfaces.
Another remark about the files: in my company we work with a distance tolerance of 0.001 mm, distance that is great for modeling. I had to sew your surfaces with a higher tolerance of 0.0254 mm.

Phenom
Phenom

I imported the mike_fdo's parasolid and the result is shown in the attached image.
A prt files in those conditions will give you a lot of problems!
My solution is that shown in the frame below.

Phenom
Phenom

Cesare wrote:

Ciao,

Attached the file with the solid model.
In the layer 10 there are the bodies imported with the step file, in the layer 7 those derived from iges file.
Note that both import modes give the option 'sew surfaces automatically'.
The iges files gave the best result, however I had to use some commands to 'repair' the surfaces.
Another remark about the files: in my company we work with a distance tolerance of 0.001 mm, distance that is great for modeling. I had to sew your surfaces with a higher tolerance of 0.0254 mm.

Hi Cesare, thank you for the solution, but sincerely the SolidWorks result is better.

I was a SolidWorks user for lot years and in this area, conversion and import, SolidWorks result more resoluter and efficient. Rememeber that all two share the same kernel.

Thank you...

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If the solid has "face intersection" errors as shown by @Cesare, you may run into problems downstream. You may get lucky and have no problems or it may generate errors in drafting or when you try to generate tool paths from the part. It is highly recommended to fix those model errors.

Phenom
Phenom

cowski1 wrote:

If the solid has "face intersection" errors as shown by @Cesare, you may run into problems downstream. You may get lucky and have no problems or it may generate errors in drafting or when you try to generate tool paths from the part. It is highly recommended to fix those model errors.

Done, there was a surface overlapping. Anyway surfaces are better from SolidWoks then imported by NX.

Thank you...

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I remember "back in the day" that Pro/Engineer was a great "IGES pre-processor" to get Catia v4 IGES files into NX.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled