cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Convert User Level Customer Defaults To Site Level

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm just beginning to work on configuring all of our NX 11 Customer Defaults. I've started with the Inch settings at the USER level through the interface and want to know if there is a way I can now convert what I currently have in my local NX110_user.dpv file to the SITE level NX110_site.dpv file. My goal is to get everything configured correctly locally, then place the SITE defaults in a common network location that everyone can access. I don't have admin privileges on this PC, so once I understand how to accomplish the conversion, I'd like to know how to get the pulldown option for the SITE level working as well, so I can then continue editing in what we want for the Millimeters side before I create Seed parts and begin some testing. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

Daryl Pierman
Chief CAD Designer
Rocket Shop
Aerojet Rocketdyne
4 REPLIES

Re: How To Convert User Level Customer Defaults To Site Level

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

To get SITE setting...

You must have the ENV variable UGII_SITE_DIR defined, and have a "startup" folder in it.

e.g. if UGII_SITE_DIR = S:\SOMEWHERE

you need a folder S:\SOMEWHERE\Startup

You probably need write access to that area as well ;-)

If you need group level settings, it works the same but set the ENV variable UGII_GROUP_DIR.

Not sure if there is an easy way to move settings from one to the other

Note the DPV file is XML data, editable in any text or XML editor, so you might be able to kluge something. You may need to check if somewhere in the data is the level (site/group/user).

Or perhaps even easier...

After getting everything set up in user area

- export to Excel

- wait the 5-10 minutes for the export to finish

- sort the excel on the "User Value" column

then replicate all the settings (at least ones changed from the "Shipped Value" column) in the site area in the customer defaults dialog (note you may want to re-order the columns in Excel if they don't come out Application-Category-Tab-Setting)

To make sure you got them all (after saving all changes):

re-export to excel

sort on "User Value" column

make sure "Site value" column matches

sort on "Site value" column 

make sure "User value" column matches

Hope this helps...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks, Ken. I managed to get everything working correctly right after I posted my question. I had some screwed up environment variables fighting each other. Once I straightened out that mess and copied my User level dpv and xsl files to Site level names, I was off and running. It's been a while since I've had to hack my way through this exercise, so the rust was a bit thicker than I expected.
Daryl Pierman
Chief CAD Designer
Rocket Shop
Aerojet Rocketdyne

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

There is a simpler way of doing this , if one understand the basics of XML

Once you have your user defaults, they are saved in a ".dpv" file.
 typically " C:\Users\Tomas\AppData\Local\Siemens\NX100"

you can open that file with notepad and copy the settings ( this is where one needs the basic knowledge, one must copy from the "<Pref ...." to the "   "/>  "

Then as Ken describes , establish the UGII_SITE_DIR

Once that is set, enter NX customer defaults. Do any change and click OK.

The NX100_site.dpv will then be created.

Open the NX100_site.dpv with a notepad and paste the copyed lines before the 

</PrefValues>

Regards,

Tomas

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor
Here is another alternative to consider...

The Customer defaults dialog button for "Manage Current Settings" (eyeball icon at the upper right) has the option to "Import Defaults" from a dpv file. If the UGII_SITE_DIR environment variable is defined and the startup subdirectory exists at that location the customer defaults dialog will include "site" in the option menu for "level". Set the level to Site and then use "import defaults" button to read the existing (user) dpv file. This approach can also be used to migrate settings from earlier NX versions. The import operation validates the settings from the existing dpv file and will only import settings and or values that are valid for the current NX version.

The dpv file format is slightly different for site or group vs user level settings and although it is possible to perform the copy/rename using the operating system, this results in a site (or group level file) that is missing data because that data is not possible at the user level.

Hope this helps,
Joe