Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Integrate Siemens NX Plot with Active Directory

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hi Guys

i have some problem when i trying to print draft via Plot in nx, because Plot is looks like cannot binding the username and password that attached to the printer (i attached the screenshot and log file as well).

Capture 2.PNGCapture 3.PNGCapture.PNG

Thanks In Advance

5 REPLIES

Re: How To Integrate Siemens NX Plot with Active Directory

Genius
Genius

If the printer is using an authentication method (password) to print, there is no way to plot from NX directly. We already submitted an IR to GTAC (IR 9044424) where they told us this could theoretically be possible by adding an initialization file that is run when plotting, but for the correct commands for this files we should contact the printer manufacturer.

Another possibility is to create a post script that picks up your cgm from temp and creates a normal print job.

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Thank you soo much 

btw i have some questions more.

1.be possible by adding an initialization file that is run when plotting

is there anyone did that thing ?

2. create a post script that picks up your cgm from temp and creates a normal print job.

can you tell me in detail (what is the language is used for), or maybe you have kind a sample that script ?

Thanks in Advance

Genius
Genius

Sadly, the customer I had this problem with just dropped the whole plot route and decided to use the simple print function instead so I haven't worked on it further.

I don't know if anyone has successfully done it before with NX but I found interesting solutions on the internet using something called a GhostScript. There are several ways to print a PDF silently with this method, so this should also work with CGM. This would be best discussed with an IT expert. I don't know if it will run automatically or it has to be started manually, but you could write a journal to make it run after a plot function has been executed.

For the initialization file you will have to contact the printer manufacturer support personally because it differs for each make and model and only they will be able to provide you with the correct commands.

Please let me know if you find a solution because I am also interested in how it works as it may come up again in the future with other customers.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You can use the init file in the NX plotting system.

You could also point the different NX plot queues at different OS level plot queues, each OS level queue having a init file to supply printer commands (e.g. paper roll / tray selection) before passing on the NX plot info.

In ancient days (probably the "legacy" BBS forums) I posted on how to do this, I'm not sure if it is still there.  I do remember it was a 2 step process (OS queue points to a file, which then points to ANOTHER file that has the actual plotter/printer commands.  IIRC the first file is used to set up cover page stuff)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Another option is to have the NX queue run a .BAT file that (theoretically) can do anything.

Yet another option is to add a button & small journal to

- Export the data as a PDF file

- run PDF Viewer app against that file

- user can then print "normally"

Variations depend on Acrobat (or other viewer) app command line options, you might be able to print directly without opening up the viewer app.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled