Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make a custom edge in NX?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have been struggling with what I believe is a simple problem. I would like to have a closed shape with a custom edge. I have tried many different ways to sweep the geometry around a block but I receive self intersecting errors and it will not let me subtract the solid as it would result in zero thickness bodies. The goal is that I want a edge that follows curve and it will interesct itself. I need a simple way to apply a custom edge blend. Please help.

5 REPLIES

Re: How can I make a custom edge in NX?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

For this simple case you can create the sweep along one edge and then use Pattern Feature with the Circular Layout option to pattern the feature on the remaining 3 edges.

Phenom
Phenom
I would also suggest NOT ending the sketch right on the upper and lower faces - over extend them a bit so that the software knows you're not exactly on those faces - this is called a non-manifold condition and it can cause issues if you keep doing this with profiles and trying to do any sort of Boolean. It's more common with Revolve and Extrude.

BTW, no need to use Sweep of any kind - just Extrude with the Boolean set to Subtract and use either Datums, Faces or Edges for the Extrude's direction vector. You should be able to use the Pattern Feature just the same.

Doing it this way will result in geometry that more closely matches your input profiles - Sweep can result in tolerance being applied then your profile may turn into B-surfaces (splines). If I have time tomorrow (Tues, US time) I can provide an example.
-Tim

Phenom
Phenom

@Thomas_R,

I finally had some time to give you an example - take a look and see if you follow the logic in how the Sketch was created oversized to avoid non-manifold conditions by having some of the Sketch "cutter" outside the target solid body; how the Sketch was used for the Extrude; how the Pattern Feature was done to finish out the rest.

This is not the only way to accomplish what you desire - there's a few different ways, but IMO this is by far one of the more simple ones.

-Tim

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am obviously extremely new to NX. I appreciate the help. Thank you!!!

Phenom
Phenom
@Thomas_R,

Not a problem - might be a good idea to get some training at some point or at the very least get a Learning Advantage account and learn online with self-paced courses (read material, download parts, follow the steps).
-Tim