Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I wrap an image onto a face or set of faces?

Genius
Genius

I want to wrap an image onto a face in NX.  

For planer geometry, it is pretty easy using Render/decal  (see below)

Burhop_1504 Jun. 20 17.03.jpg

However, this does a projection and I really want to wrap it (like a real decal).  Projection onto non-planer faces gives me stuff like this :-(

Burhop_1505 Jun. 20 17.06.jpg

Does anyone have any solutions for this?  UV mapping like in other software might work but I don't think NX supports it.

5 REPLIES

Re: How can I wrap an image onto a face or set of faces?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
If you go the Render tab, Advanced Studio, there is a command 'Decal Sticker' that will allow you to specify an image and 'wrap' in onto a non planar face.

Genius
Genius
RonY, yeah, this was the first thing I tried but I couldn't figure out how to do a "wrap" with it. Did I miss something?

Genius
Genius

I hate to answer my own question, but it looks like I can do it with the Material Editor (Render/Material Texture) and picking the texture space.  It has all kinds of projection options.  See image below.

Burhop_1507 Jun. 21 14.52.jpg

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Just click the Decal Sticker command

Select your image file using 'Choose Image File'

The command asks you to select the object to decal.

The tricky part is getting the scaling / rotation set to look as you want it.

The wrap will occur based on the settings in the Placement group of the dialog box

It takes some 'playing around' with the settings to get an acceptable result, depending on the face shape you select for placement.

Genius
Genius

Ah... I think you misunderstood.  This part works fine.  The issue is the pacement only allows for a projection along a vector (as far as I can tell.  I was hoping you had another way).

Projection along a vector is fine is the surface is flat. If it is curvy, the image gets stretched so is not being 'wrapped" (no streatching of of the decal).  I was hoping you had a way to do that.

Mark

P.S.  THe analogy would be the difference bettween projecting a sketch and wrapping a sketch or projecting a curve and wrapping a curve in NX.