Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know what faces I used to create features like shell, fillet, convert to sheet metal, etc?

Pioneer
Pioneer

It obviously highlights sometimes, but if it is a complicated part, I do not know where or what it is highlighting. Does NX explicitly say what faces we select when a feature tells us to 'select face' or even how to optimize highlighting a face?

If I have to modify another designer's part, it can get pretty confusing at how we can modify features if they don't tell us what we originally selected. How would you guys do it?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How do I know what faces I used to create features like shell, fillet, convert to sheet metal, e

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

RMB over a feature in the Part Navigator there is the option Assign Feature Color.

For simple mouse over enquires, use Move Face (but do not select anything) set selection intent to Face and Feature Faces.

Steve V

Re: How do I know what faces I used to create features like shell, fillet, convert to sheet metal, e

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Baratheon 

Assign feature color works in modeling but necessarily in all applications and highlights the faces 'created' by the feature, not the one you selected.

Another way is to edit the feature and in the dialog make sure the face selection block is selected; the corresponding faces are highlighted in the grpahics area.

Phenom
Phenom

We have this option turned off, but under preferences, selection there is an option called "highlight original".  When select a face, it will highlight the feature that made that face.

Highlighted

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@Baratheon,

I typically use Edit with Rollback on the feature which I wish to edit. That will assist in removing some of the confusion (at least for me) from newer features.  Once there, most feature dialogs will highlight the inputs during edit mode if you have that section selected in the dialog (typically at or near the top of the dialog).  The replies above all contain useful information regarding additional methods that could be used, depending on model complexity.  Quick Pick may assist in highlighting specific features if you don't wish to go through any editing.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7