Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Change MMB Functionality?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello all.  I am currently using NX 10.0.3.5.  I am wondering how I can reassign the middle mouse button functionality, to change it from rotate to pan?  From what I am seeing, it's not possible (Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad).  I found out that it comes from me using AutoCAD extensively to do layouts, and I can't seem to shake the habit.

I'd like to reassign MMB to pan, and SHIFT + MMB to rotate.

12 REPLIES

Re: How to Change MMB Functionality?

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @ilarson007,

Unfortunately what you're looking for is not currently possible.  NX does not support the customization of mouse dynamic gestures.  ER 6420086 has already been created requesting customization capabilities.  You can contact GTAC and ask to be added to that ER if you would like to be notified of any future progress.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @ilarson007,

In NX if you want to customize/assign the shortcuts to specific commands/operations then you must use the keyboard buttons to assign it. @BenBroad is already mentioned the ER information. As MMB works in different conditions like current to next selection/confirmation (OK) depending upon the current command dialog. I dont think so it will be implemented though it is an ER. Better to use OOTB options or customize it as per your convenience using keyboard.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

<cough> spaceball <cough>

^ ^ ^ ^  what he said Smiley LOL

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Who me?  Completely the opposite and 100% agree with @cowski1.  I can't understand why CAD users don't use a spaceball.  I'd be lost without mine Heart

Experimenter
Experimenter

@cowski1, @BenBroad, I'm in a corporate enviornment.  Nobody has those, and I doubt that will change.

I don't even know what it is anyways.

Here's good whitepaper that explains the efficiencies of using a 3D mouse (spaceball): http://info.3dconnexion.com/cadalyst-whitepaper

Here's an old review of a SpaceBall 5000 (2009):

http://www.engineeringexchange.com/profiles/blogs/efficient-3d-cad-manipulation

It's a no-brainer really.  As a user you'll experience a huge increase in product efficiency and usability, the tools are typically more ergonomic than a mouse and your boss is happy because you're delivering results much quicker.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I would second, and third the spaceball.  I've worked in corporations with hunddreds of users, and with 2 users, and have always had a spaceball.  I've become so used to it, I reach for it at the rare workstation that does not have one, and I'd probably buy my own if I had to.

Their new Cadmouse is also very nice, with a dedicated, and programable MMB.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10