Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to Open NX 12 Part File in NX 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I just made a bit over 30 part files in NX12, only consisting of a simple sketch. My group members are using NX10 and could not open the file and got the error "Not a Part File". I want to know if there is a way I can save all my files in a way that it can be opened in NX10? If I install NX10 at my school will I have both 10 and 12 or will it overwrite it? I really want to avoid remaking all parts all over again so any tips on this would be greatly appreciated. I tried attatching one of the files I made in NX12 that doesn't work in 10 and got the error "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type". I have a comma in the name but I doubt that makes a difference. Should I save as IGS or STP file and then install 10 and open it there and save it as a prt file?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

3 REPLIES

Re: How to Open NX 12 Part File in NX 10

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @ronnystudent,

Files created in a higher version of NX can not be opened in lower version directly. You have to use neutral format (Parasolid/STEP/IGES etc).

If I install NX10 at my school will I have both 10 and 12 or will it overwrite it? 

Both. But again, you need to be careful while saving NX10 part files in NX12.

I tried attatching one of the files I made in NX12 that doesn't work in 10 and got the error "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type". I have a comma in the name but I doubt that makes a difference. 

It needed to zip to upload here. ".prt' and there are many other file formats, which one can not upload directly.

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius
If I install NX10 at my school will I have both 10 and 12 or will it overwrite it? 

To clarify, if you install two versions of NX, you will have two shortcuts (one for NX10 and one for NX12). You can start each version independently. 

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

NOTE:

In the past, it has always been recommended that you always install from "oldest to newest", i.e. install NX10 first, then NX12.

If you do vice-versa, there may be issues (I'd save the registry & ENV variables before installing NX10, then see what changed after NX10 is installed, and revert to the "before" values as needed)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled