Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add fake dimensions in drafting of NX9

Hi Designers,

Good Day,

Here this is my first post of tutorial, how to add fake dimensions and edit in entire dimensions.

As we know, In real-life industrial designing, sometimes we have to change a fixed or already designed dimensions mostly odd dimensions of sheet-metal due to bends, n that possible only when u calculate the bends and make a flat sheet.
But every designing software has one possibilities so we can change the fixed dimensions by a fake dimensions, so the problems can be eliminated occurred in productions.

Actually this video tutorial is based on the system of Indian Companies, Yeah I admit we dont have CNCs or High Accurate machines at smaller workshop. So when it comes to manufacture by Workers, we need to remove odd dimensions from drafting only for those who can work easily. Smiley Happy

Summer Regards,
Rinkesh Patel
www.rinkeshpatel.com
13 REPLIES

Re: How to add fake dimensions in drafting of NX9

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @rinkesh_patel,

Thanks for sharing this tutorial with us! I'm sure our users will find it useful Robot Happy I know I did. The best place for tutorials is in the NX Design Knowledge Base, so I went ahread and converted your post into an NX Design Knowledge Base article. I sent you a private message, but I wanted to be sure anyone who sees your post also knows they can find it there. 

Thanks again!

Amy 

Product Engineering Software 

Siemens PLM Software, Inc.

Community Manager, Solid Edge
Rules of Participation | Become a Guest Author
Become a Solid Edge Certified pro today!

Creator
Creator

Hi,

working with fake dimensions is pretty dangerous.

Cause of this a very helpful command to know:  "show all dimensions with manual text".

Menu - Information - Other - Object-specific... - Dimensions with Manual Text 

Smiley Happy

Regards Wolfgang

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Quite frankly, I DO NOT want my users to know how to do this.

It leads to all sorts of stupidity (editing the dimension text rather than fixing the model).

IMHO, the only (somewhat) valid reason to edit dimension text is if you do tabular drawings, so the dimension text is "A" or "B" or ... (and not a "real" value that could be wrong).

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

@Ken_A wrote:

Quite frankly, I DO NOT want my users to know how to do this.

It leads to all sorts of stupidity (editing the dimension text rather than fixing the model).

IMHO, the only (somewhat) valid reason to edit dimension text is if you do tabular drawings, so the dimension text is "A" or "B" or ... (and not a "real" value that could be wrong).

Seconded...

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

I'm am going to have to vote on Rinkesh's behalf as far as Sheet Metal Flat Pattern detailing. In every other instance I would change the model. AFA sheet metal, I have to routinely add "faked" dimensions to a sheet metal flat pattern in order to facilitate a "bend off of a bend" dimension scenario that involves a hand calculated dimension that the model view cannot generate with automated dimensioning. For this reason, knowing how to fake it is a necessity.

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1
TC10.1.5 32 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro K4200

Yeah, @ewr, you are absolutely ri8 about that, I would also prefer to change in model more thn changing drafting dimensions.
but sometimes in emergency we need this kind of back up plans, so we can make it quick and rest for future. Smiley Happy

Summer Regards,
Rinkesh Patel
www.rinkeshpatel.com

@Ken_A, I am also agree with you, but as I know sheet metal, every time I generate a flat sheet, it gives odd dimensions, thats why this tutorial stands for, or in case of emergency we can use it, come on guys this is 2015, who have enough time to change models ??
Summer Regards,
Rinkesh Patel
www.rinkeshpatel.com

Thanks @RGudorf, for appreciation of my work.
at least one Designer understood my point.. Smiley Tongue Smiley Happy
Summer Regards,
Rinkesh Patel
www.rinkeshpatel.com

Well, maybe for sheet metal (I don't use SM, so I don't know about its limitations).

But if I were you, I'd be lobbying Siemens for the ability to define correct automatic dimensions (maybe you've tried, and they're not able for some reason, but I'd sure try if you haven't).

And for the comment "who has time?" - it depends.  If you do (mill/lathe) NC programming and program to the model, you **bleep** well better have time, or else you're going to get bad parts.  If you give the solid model to a vendor to machine, it better be right.  Again, sheet metal may be a bit different, and I don't know about sheet metal CAM, but for traditional machining, people (typically) machine to the model.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled