Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to apply customer defaults settings to existing files

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Can anyone explain how to apply customerr defaults for the existing NX drafting files.

For eg. I have an existing drafting file with many views, sectional views, dimensions, symbols & notes etc. Now I have set customer defaults with major modiications like Visible line color, smooth edges color, hidden line display color, dimension text color, arrow line color and many other things have been changed and setup the customer defaults. In this case how can I apply all these changes to the existing file. Please help.

Thanks,

Yunus

12 REPLIES

Re: How to apply customer defaults settings to existing files

Experimenter
Experimenter
Drafting Preferences will allow these changes to the existing file, remember to hit apply after all preferences have been revised.
Once completed, hit ok and save the file.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **

This E-mail message and any attachments may contain
legally privileged, confidential or proprietary
information. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of
this message to the intended recipient(s), you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this E-mail message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please immediately notify the sender and
delete this E-mail message from your computer.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"For eg. I have an existing drafting file with many views, sectional views, dimensions, symbols & notes etc."

You have a 2 part problem. @Ketel's answer will solve part 1; it will update the drafting preferences and any newly created objects will be affected. However, you will still need to apply the changes to the existing drafting objects.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

"However, you will still need to apply the changes to the existing drafting objects."

Could you please explain how to update this, any specific options to update all the drafting objects?

Thanks,

Yunus

Phenom
Phenom

@cowski1 wrote:

"For eg. I have an existing drafting file with many views, sectional views, dimensions, symbols & notes etc."

You have a 2 part problem. @Ketel's answer will solve part 1; it will update the drafting preferences and any newly created objects will be affected. However, you will still need to apply the changes to the existing drafting objects.

The 2 part problem generate a 3 part problem.

Berfore NX9, in the preferences you could decide which settings of the annotations they will updated.

Starting to NX9, all annotations settings they will update to the inherit annotation or customer default.

For example, into NX8 all dimensions with or without tolerances was able to update to the a different font only without loosing tolerances value. Starting to NX9, if you want to change all annotations to a diferent font and arrow or customer default, with the new option will loose all tolerances value.

This is only an example.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There is no automatic way to update existing content on a drawing. You can only affect new content by chaning your customer defaults and/or Drafting preferences.

You can, however, use the Inherit option in the Settings dialog to apply changes from one type of drawing object to another. For example:

• Edit an existing view and reset its hidden line rendering, visibly line font color, and smooth edge setting, 
  • Now double-click another view to begin editing it.
  • In the Settings dialog box, in the Inherit group, from the Setting Source list, select Selected Object.
  • Now select the view that you had already modified, and then click OK.

Using the Inherit option in this way applies ALL of the settings of the modified view to the view you are currently editing. This works fine as long as you want the same settings for each view.

This process also works for drafting annotation objects.

Your only other option is to write an automation program to update existing drawings with new settings.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Currently we are working as you explained. I was thinking is there any option to update this in one or two settings.

Thanks,

Yunus

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the explaination.

Yunus

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Not sure what you mean by "...is there any option to update this in one or two settings".  The procedure I outlined above is the only way I know of to manually update content in a drawing. Creating an automation program is the only other efficient means of updating existing content.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Debbie -

I'm guessing he only wants to change (for example) the text font, and not all the other settings.

As it is now, for every object he wants to change, he has to find an object that has ALL the settings correct, not just the text font.

As you say, a journal/API is probably the way he has to go.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled