Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to bisect an angle or plane? (Symetry)

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all, new (old) user here who spent lots of time up until 2007 with Unigraphics/NX.  Haven't used it since then, now working on NX10.

I'm doing some reverse Engineering and can't figure out how to bisect two lines at an angle to each other?  I have two lines that are 0.11 degrees from parallel and I need a line exactly in the middle at half the angle.

Also, how does this work with planes?  I have a similar situation with two planes that are slightly non-parallel.  How do I get a plane equidistant from each of them bisecting their angle difference?

On our Zeiss CMM that runs on their Calypso software, generating one of these planes uses a function called "Symmetry Plane".  You select both planes and it bisects them, useful for defining coordinate systems.

Thanks for the help!

3 REPLIES

Re: How to bisect an angle or plane? (Symetry)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

For the datum planes, open the datum plane dialog, then set the type to be 'bisector'.

For the curves, the curves must be part of an active sketch.  Then, use 'Menu -> Insert -> Sketch Curve -> Derived lines.'

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Bisecting the angle is super easy if you are working with datum planes. Start the datum plane command, set the type to "inferred" or "bisector" and select the two existing planes as the defining objects. If the planes are parallel, the resulting plane will be 1/2 way between the two. If the planes are angled, the resulting plane will be the bisector.

Experimenter
Experimenter

You can use Basic Curves (result is without parameters). Select 2 lines only.