Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change file name in file manager without errors in NX assembly ?

Genius
Genius

Hello

How to change the main assembly file name in Windows file manager without errors in NX assembly ?

• My file manager says "can't change name because in use by another program" ?
  • If I succeed to change the file name will it corrupt the NX assembly ? Errors for example like: "NX unable to find part that and that...in assembly because file name changed". Possible ?
  • What is the proper way to change the main file name which contains: the assembly and parts ?

File example: C:\ *Assembly* \ Assembly.prt

2 REPLIES

Re: How to change file name in file manager without errors in NX assembly ?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Clone the part and/or assembly. That way the structure will be kept. Must be done within NX.

Re: How to change file name in file manager without errors in NX assembly ?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The issue is that every level of the assembly stores the full path to all components.

So *other than the very top level assembly* you can't just change things in Windows Explorer and expect it to work

- top level asembly must NOT be used in any other assembly

- if you set up & use "search directories" in load options, you can MOVE files to different folders (assuming theose folders are part of the search direcory paths) but you can't rename them.

Note file names are also used in other ways inside NX parts (e.g. for WAVE links, inter-part expressions, etc.)

As noted, the best way is to use the clone utilities.

Another (more cumbersome) option (again, if you change location of a file, but not the name) is open components first, then open the assembly (NX will use a part open in a session, before it looks out on disk)

Finally, if you change the file name, you can open the assembly, and "OK" all the warnings, Then use "replace component" (did they change the name of that command?) and find/select the "new" filename.  If it is truly just renamed in the OS, it *should* come in with all the associativity kept.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled