Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the default snap setting?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi everyone,

often times I start a command, choose the snap I want, complete the command, and when I run it a second time I have to reselect the snaps again (often deselect from the pop-uped default).

It often needs less click to check in than check out. How can I change the default selected snapping setting to none? Is it possible to get snap settings "stick" for each command?

Thank you!

14 REPLIES

Re: How to change the default snap setting?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Hi,
You can try pressing ALT while doing the selection. This will temporarily off the snap.
Best Regards
Kapil

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thank you! But some snap points are always off, there might be a setting for that.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

QQ, I am in full agreement with you, the Snap point that is turned on by default that drives me crazy is the "Arc Center" snap point for Sketches. There isn't a way to have them stay off or on that I have been able to find. They always default to the NX out of the box settings whenever I start a new NX session.

Michael Pinto | Designer
NX11|Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit|HP Z-Book Studio G3 Workstation|Intel XEON E3-1505M|32GB Ram|Nvidia Quadro M1000m w/4GB

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

(somewhat changing the topic)

NX10: I've noticed, when you are selecting an arc in the sketcher...

If the "crosshairs" are INSIDE the arc, it selects the arc center

If the "crosshairs" are OUTSIDE the arc, it selects the arc curve

(back to the original topic)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

{following Ken's rabbit trail}

Same goes for NX 8.5 and 9.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you for the tip. The cursor position is not easy to be precise without excessive concentration, if the point on curve is turned on by default, it is very easy to place the point at the wrong place. I think this one should be disabled by default unless someone have a better idea to avoid that.

It has been my experience that the "dialog memory" will save the snap settings on a 'per-command' basis. For example, if I start the point command and change the snap settings, create the point, and OK the dialog; once the dialog is dismissed, the snap settings revert to my previous 'general selection' settings. The next time I start the point command, the snap settings match those used when creating the previous point. In this way the 'default' snap setting is the one you used previously in a given command.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Also (I'm pretty sure) that dialog settings are only saved if you "OK" outof a dialog.

If you "Cancel" out, it does not save the settings.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Ken_A wrote:

Also (I'm pretty sure) that dialog settings are only saved if you "OK" outof a dialog.

If you "Cancel" out, it does not save the settings.

True unless you know the magic word environment variable, which happens to be unsupported.

Also, it should be noted that the "save dialog memory" option needs to be turned on in the customer defaults (Gateway -> user interface -> save dialog memory between sessions).