Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the threaded lookup tables in NX11

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with the lookup tables in the thread feature. Specifically the standard thread sizes I'm able to select are all in english units; NX is using the values in the thd_english file rather than those in the thd_metric file. I've tried simply editing the thd_english file and inserting the metric values, however the entire file uses inch units, so this doesn't work. All units used elsewhere are in mm, this is the only case I've found where this issue occurs.

How would I go about changing the file that NX uses for the standard tables? I've had a sniff around in preferences, part properties, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Many thanks, 

Hugo

10 REPLIES

Re: How to change the threaded lookup tables in NX11

Genius
Genius

Are you using a custom start script to set your envirnment? If yes, check if the varibale UGII_METRIC_THREADS is pointing to the correct location where thd_metric.dat is stored.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

How are you making the threaded  feature?

(specific menu/dialog picks)

Note there are a 2nd set of thread data in \...\UGII\modeling_standards\*

Depending on how you add threads, you may be selecting from those files.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did change environment variables to access the GC Toolkit. I should have mentioned I was able to use the metric table prior to this.

Both UGII_ENGLISH_THREADS and UGII_METRIC_THREADS are ponting to the corresponding file directories for the lookup tables. Is there a way to change which table is the preferential choice, from english to metric?

Experimenter
Experimenter
I'm creating threads by first extruding a hole, then adding the threaded feature. I've read elsewhere that the thread data in \...\UGII\modeling_standards\ is if the threaded hole feature is used directly, rather than the thread feature on its own.

Genius
Genius

As @Ken_A said, there is a submenu to change which type of thread you want to use, and if I'm not mistaken, the type is remembered by the dialog memory and will always display the last type used.

However, now that you mention the GC Toolkit, I remember someone mention that after installing it, he could no longer use metric threads... The discussion is posted somewhere on the community not so long ago, try and find it and see if a solution exists.

Genius
Genius

Ah here it is https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Metric-thred-form-missed-after-apply..., but no one has answered the call Smiley Sad

Why are you extruding holes and using thread? Isn't it simpler to use the Hole command and selecting threaded hole?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ah, **bleep**. Smiley Sad

Yes, as you say I can just edit the hole and make it threaded, however for future components, external threads etc, I'm not sure of another way of producing those. 

I'm not sure what else to try, changing the file directory for the UGII_ENGLISH_THREADS to the location of the metric doesnt work either.

Where does this submenu exist?

Thanks

Genius
Genius

When using the Hole command, there is a dropdown under Settings where you can select the thread type:

thd_hole.PNG

The same goes for Thread under Form:

thd_shaft.PNG

But as I said, by installing the GC Toolkit Metric may become unavailable... Best thing to do is contact your GC Tools sales provider and ask for support as these tools are not standard NX, but specifically built for China and I haven't heard of them being available in any other country.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Hugo-

As the thread that @hajnal_25 linked to explains, new thread standards are listed in the Thread dialog (GB193,0, GJB3.4,0, GJB3.2,0, GJB3.3,0, GB5796,0, HB243,0, GB1415,0, HB247,0, GJB119.3,0, Q_9D176.3,0).  These are read from the thd_metric.dat (this file is not modifed by enabling the GC Toolkit - they are all there OOTB).  The reason that Metric is not listed is because the customer defaults file that is read by enabling UGII_LANG=simpl_chinese, or UGII_COUNTRY=prc, does not include the Metric thread form.

Your options:

1) Edit %UGII_BASE_DIR%\LOCALIZATION\prc\nx_country.dpv and add Metric to the list of threads (2 edits required - highlighted red  below):

<Pref Tab="Symbolic Threads" 
name="Solids_THD_Symbolic_FormOptions"
title="Form"
value="&quot;Metric&quot;\&quot;Unified&quot;\&quot;UNJ&quot;\&quot;Trapezoidal&quot;\&quot;Acme&quot;\&quot;Stub Acme&quot;\&quot;Lowenherz&quot;\&quot;Buttress&quot;\&quot;Spark Plug&quot;\&quot;NPT&quot;\&quot;Hose Coupling&quot;\&quot;Fire Hose&quot;\&quot;GB193&quot;\&quot;GJB3.4&quot;\&quot;GJB3.2&quot;\&quot;GJB3.3&quot;\&quot;GB5796&quot;\&quot;HB243&quot;\&quot;GB1415&quot;\&quot;HB247&quot;\&quot;GJB119.3&quot;\&quot;Q_9D176.3&quot;"
Category="Feature Settings"
modified="2009-06-10T10:27:03"
Application="Modeling"
displayValue="Metric Unified UNJ Trapezoidal Acme Stub Acme Lowenherz Buttress Spark Plug NPT Hose Coupling Fire Hose GB193 GJB3.4 GJB3.2 GJB3.3 GB5796 HB243 GB1415 HB247 GJB119.3 Q_9D176.3"/>

2) Or, edit your customer defaults and add Metric to the list of Form's:

Screenshot - 4_3_2018 , 11_01_28 AM.png

Restart NX and you should now see Metric as an option on your Thread dialog.

Regards, Ben