Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check which projection angle is in a sheet ?

Genius
Genius

Hello

• How to check which projection angle is in a sheet ? (When I double click Sheet"Sheet1"() the projections are greyed out)
  • Can I change the projection angle afterwards when all drawings are done ?
  • Why there are 2 similar kind of projections angles and when should I use them ? Which projection method was first created ? Very confusing. Why people can't agree on one only ?

9 REPLIES

Re: How to check which projection angle is in a sheet ?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

You can track the projection angle used from here... Double click the sheet and you will find that the one being used is still active and the other one (first angle in this case) is not highlighted.

temp.jpg

I do not think it is possible to change the projection angle afterwards..

You can create a new sheet with another projection angle (if you wish...but i am sure that should not be needed) and then create new views there..

Regarding which projection method is used where.. i will say it depends on the organisation  here is a link ... https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-prefer-to-use-1st-angle-projection-rather-than-3rd-angle-projection 

Regards

Kapil

Genius
Genius

Both greyed out. Is Teamcenter causing this ?

• Are there other ways to find out the projection angle used ? (Other than looking at the picture itself)

greyed out.jpg

Siemens Phenom

@12131444 wrote:

Both greyed out. Is Teamcenter causing this ?

• Are there other ways to find out the projection angle used ? (Other than looking at the picture itself)

Once projected view is created from the base view, you can not change the projection angle method.

pa2.PNG

Siemens Phenom

ok...

one more thing you can check is...Go to Menu/Information/Drawing...

You will find some information on projection angle there.

Regards

Kapil

Siemens Phenom

project.jpg

Genius
Genius
Ok so I should create the drawings again. I had accidentally 3rd angle ON and created 5pcs drawings which should have been 1st angle drawings.
- I hoped that in NX I could just switch between these 2 methods easily by pressing a single button. Like press this button and *swap* 1st angle and press again *swap* 3rd angle is visible.
- I see NX's developers have still a long way to go to make this program perfect. I wonder how people think super smart robotic androids are coming when we designers face these kinds of problems in almost 2020 :-)

Siemens Phenom

Smiley Happy most of the commercial software still don't have a ONE-CLICK solution to changing projection angles. Drawing standards are planned well before and there are lot of downstream operations depending on it (shop floor for instance) ...perhaps that is one of the reasons why the switch is disabled.

Drafting experts can throw some more light on it.

Regards

Kapil

Siemens Phenom
- I hoped that in NX I could just switch between these 2 methods easily by pressing a single button. Like press this button and *swap* 1st angle and press again *swap* 3rd angle is visible.

Understand the difference between two methods. It is not about a mouse click and change everything on the drawing. In practical it has some particular method and importance that one need to understand correctly. As @kapilsharma mentioned, use of either First Angle or Third Angle projection method depends on choice.

If you have views with a lot of dimensioning then create another sheet and move all views to this new sheet except for the base view. Edit the projection method of the original sheet. Now move the views back to the original sheet placing them according to the projection you selected.

- I see NX's developers have still a long way to go to make this program perfect. I wonder how people think super smart robotic androids are coming when we designers face these kinds of problems in almost 2020 :-)

First of all, there are standard methods that every organisation follows and there are their own drawing templates with title block,tolerance,projection angle method information etc. So it becomes responsibility of the user to create the design with standard methods/processes in mind. Also there will be manual checklist (even today, hope so) or automatic check (Check mate, OOTB or customized) to verify the model/drawing quality as per the organization/International standard.

Pointing to the "Concept/Rule", it will remain same whether it is 2020 or 2050. Technology will change, not the concept/rule. Smiley Happy

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Ganesh_Kadole has a good explanation of how to change projection without starting over (move all the non-base views to a new sheet, change the projected, move them back).  

Another way to tell what the projection anlge is on a sheet is from the attribute <W@$SH_SHEET_PROJECTION_ANGLE>.  This can be put in a note, table or title block on a sheet and will show the appropriate projection angle symbol on the sheet, as seen in the title block on the shipped template examples.