Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to convert Mirror Feature to flange ?

Genius
Genius

Hello

How to convert Mirror Feature to Flange ?

• It mirrors 1pc Flange. Why it shows as an uneditable Mirror Feature in model history ?
  • I want to turn it to a basic Flange so I can edit it.
  • So how to Unchain the Mirror assosiation to edit the Flange as a induvidual Feature ?

OpenMirrorFeature.jpg

9 REPLIES

Re: How to convert Mirror Feature to flange ?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

Personally i will never mix Sheet Metal and Modeling features for a sheet metal part design untill and unless it is absolutely necessary.

If you still wish to consider editing the MIRROR FLANGE as another unassociated flange then you can use Synchronous tools (changing length/orientation etc.)

Best Regards

Kapil

Siemens Phenom

I agree with @kapilsharma on the first point

For a robust and quality sheet metal model, it is advisable to reserve the modeling commands as they are intended.  For example - design the right hand side of your design and mirror to get the left hand side; then use Unite to join them as desired.

If you require a different flange, then removed the mirror and create the flange - it will be time well spent for downstream edits.

I would avoid synchronous in sheet metal.  If used with care then it has some success however I would advise caution as some synchronous commands can destroy the sheet metal intelligence.  For angle change, use Resize Bend Radius.

Dave

Genius
Genius

Does some modeling software (Inventor 2006 or such) make seperate features when Mirror is used ? Or do they all make a box called *Mirror Feature*.

Until today I was in a belief that Mirror copies the selected features and creates new ones out of them: like...

Flange(1)   -> Flange(4) 

Extrude(2)      Extrude(5) 

Sketch(3)        Sketch(6)

Now NX 9:

Flange(1)   -> Mirror Feature(4) 

Extrude(2)      

Sketch(3)       

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Inventor (2014-2016 for sure) does the same thing.

Siemens Phenom

Sorry...i have no idea about Inventor but i have worked with 2 other solutions besides NX and could not remember having this feature (of making Mirror Feature a unique feature)

Genius
Genius
Ok. I remembered probably wrong.

Siemens Phenom

Other applications do just the same

2017-06-07 09_22_02-Clipboard.jpgInventor2017-06-07 09_27_31-Clipboard.jpgSolidWorks

Siemens Phenom

Hi,

There is an option while using (sorry using NX11 here) Pattern feature though....not intuitive as Mirror Feature but still 

(view in My Videos)

Regards

Kapil

Phenom
Phenom

I rarely use the 'Mirror Feature' command because the result can be unpredictable.

In the attached image the same command sequence with NX7.5 and NX11.

MIRROR_F.png

Ciao :-)