Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create construction lines in a exploded view on a NX drawing

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I am creating a assembly drawing in NX with an exploded view of an assembly model. Is there a NX tool for generating construcion lines of the components that are shown in the exploded view? These construction lines would show how the components are assembled together.

6 REPLIES

Re: How to create construction lines in a exploded view on a NX drawing

Ganesh_Kadole 2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Hi @Nanay,

Use 'Tracelines' command from the 'Exploded Views'.

ev.png

Ensure that in the drafting, you should use same view as base view where the explosion is created in the modeling application. In the example I have shown, used a separate view 'Explosion' in the modeling and used same view in the drafting.

ev1.png

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 11 | NX 12 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I was able to use the traceline function to show tracelines my assembly model. However, when I used the explosion view containing the tracelines as the base view in the drawing, it would show the centerlines of holes in addition to the tracelines of the assembly components. I tried to hide the centerlines from the "hide and show" menu, but this hides the tracelines as well. Is there a way to hide just the centerlines that are not tracelines?

Ganesh_Kadole 2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Toggle off the option 'Create with Centerline' in the drafting preferences before view creation.

Menu > Preferences > Drafting > View > Common > General > Workflow

centerline.PNG

Later you can use Center Mark, 2D Centerline, 3D Centerline or Automatic Centerline command in the drafting as per your need.

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I toggled off the "create with centerline" option from the drafting preferences, and then I  deleted my base view and added it again. But now, both the tracelines and centerlines do not show up in the base view. I think NX treads tracelines as centerlines when generating base views. Please advise.

Ganesh_Kadole 2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Hi @Nanay,

I think NX treads tracelines as centerlines when generating base views. Please advise.

See in the image. I don't have any problem to create view with or without centerlines.

traceline.PNG

cowski1 3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Alternately, just delete the centerlines that you do not want; this avoids the need to re-create the view.