Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to create symmetrical studio Spline in NX sketch? - NX11

Creator
Creator

Hi all, I try to draw a studio spline with poles and Y axis which is symmetrical axis but it doesn't work. In Solidwork, I do this very quickly. Anyone here knows why?

Capture.PNG

7 REPLIES

Re: How to create symmetrical studio Spline in NX sketch? - NX11

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

is it a option to create just the half of the spline and then use mirror curve?

are give dimensions also to the other points and reference the existing parameters to the "Symmetric" dimensions.

symmetrical_spline.JPG

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I agree with Ruud that the best thing to do is create half the spline and use the mirror command to keep it symetric. 

Scott

Creator
Creator

Thank you Ruud,

@ruud_vandenbrandwrote:

is it a option to create just the half of the spline and then use mirror curve?

are give dimensions also to the other points and reference the existing parameters to the "Symmetric" dimensions.

symmetrical_spline.JPG

I follow your suggestion but when I draw a half of spline, the end point of spline and the end pole are always coincident. How did you separate them as your picture? and 2nd question, I try to mirror an offset curve of a curve. But I can't choose the offset curve on Mirror curve dialogue. How can I do that?

Capture 2.PNG

Genius
Genius

IMHO, your .prt file seems to be only a simple sketch, and if you can upload it, it would make those who want to help much easier, at least without creating the sketch from scratch.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

In the initial post, i see a non -symmetrical spline, but using symmetry constraints.

Do you still have that spline ? What degree is that spline ?

Can you, if it still exists , select the tab Analysis, select the spline then toggle "Show knots", and upload a new image ?

I imagine that if one designs a curve with a little bad luck the internal segments of that spline can be non symmetric, producing the curve seen in the first image.

When i try this, since i draw the curve with the intention of drawing a symmetric spline and then applying symmetry constraints, it becomes symmetric.  ( placing the poles roughly symmetric from start.)

Regards,

Tomas

Creator
Creator

Thank you 

Experimenter
Experimenter

For a more stable and editable symmetric sketch Studio Spline, I usually place Sketch Points around the symmetry axis as necessary, apply dimensions if needed to points on one side and then Symmetry Constraints to point pairs. I then create the pole based Studio Spline by snapping the poles to the points from one end to the other.

If Studio Spline curvature across the symmetry axis is critical, I wouldn't normally mirror half a spline. Maintaining G1, G2 or G3 across the axis requires placing the first 2, 3 or 4 poles on one side of the axis on a straight line, which is extra work. If however you need to control the intersection position of the spline on the axis, building G-symmetry this way is a way to go...