Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine which coincident face to select?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello, I'm having trouble selecting a face to be used for a shell operation. The problem is how to determine which is the correct face when there is a choice of two coincident faces.

Example:

I have a block which is split into two. I want to shell the right half, so I start the shell command and use quickpick to select the face to pierce. The quickpick shows two coincident faces, both with the name Face of Split Body (3).

How do I know which face to select which will shell the right half?

SnapShot 390.png

6 REPLIES

Re: How to determine which coincident face to select?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Temporarily hide the left side body to make the face selections on the right side body easier.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Set the selection filter to 'Solid Body', hide the one body and shell the other.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is there a faster and more direct method than hiding the other body? I was thinking maybe the quickpick or the graphics display would give some visual cues about which body the faces belong to.

Siemens Phenom

Hi @JRW,

As 'Split Body' divides the body not the feature, so in quickpick dialog box it shows same name for that face (Face of Split Body).

Apart from hiding body from UI, you may consider the following alternate options/workarounds. I don't see any quick method over 'QuickPick' dialog. In the example, I have assigned the name and color to the individual body.

1) In Part Navigator, RMB on white space > Uncheck 'Timestamp Order'. 

Suppress left body > Shell the right body > Unsupress left body. 

Shell.PNG

2) Use 'Move Object' command with the options shown to move right side of block > Shell > Delete the 'Move Object' feature.  

shell1.PNG

3) When the cursor is hovered on rightmost face, Quickpick dialog shows the name of faces in the sequence shown in the image. I was expecting the following sequence.

Blue face of Block > Blue face of Split Body > Yellow face Split Body >Yellow face of Block. But yellow face of split body appears before blue face of split body in quickpick list (It's surprising, thinking about the logic behind it?). 

shell2.PNG

shell3.PNG

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yes I've noticed that too, it seems the quickpick will sort two coincident faces such that the face belonging to the body furthest away from you is highest on the list. I dont' know if this is random, or if it is a concious decision of the developers that is consistent in all situations.

Siemens Phenom

I have also checked this in NX 9 and it's same.