cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to diagnose "unable to reference parent objects that are either expressed or modeled away"?

Hello, does anyone have advice on how to diagnose the "unable to reference parent objects that are either expressed or modeled away" warning that pops up sometimes, especially as they relate to sketches?

I know they're not necessarily "errors", but they are annoying and I can't find a way to properly diagnose them.

I'm using NX 9, but I had the same issue in NX 8 and I'm sure it applies to other versions of NX.

Mike

5 REPLIES

Re: How to diagnose "unable to reference parent objects that are either expressed or modeled aw

Phenom
Phenom

I generally tell the user, to think back to what they changed, that could make a face, or some other entity, not exist anymore.  Example, a sketch of a square, that is now a triangle...well that side that is no longer there, created some geometry previously.

Stuff like that.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Re: How to diagnose "unable to reference parent objects that are either expressed or modeled aw

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

In the sketch application, check out the "show/remove constraints" dialog; make sure all the constraints point to valid geometry. If all looks good and you still get the warning, try reattaching the sketch; sometimes you need to redefine the sketch plane and/or the horizontal reference.

Legend
Legend

Select on the feature you are having issues with.  Look at dependicies in the part navigator.  I had the same thing yesterday.  I found a couple fillets that was causing this issue. 

Experimenter
Experimenter

Dave,

I know this is a bit old, but i just ran into this problem...

I know what i changed, but that still is not helping me fix the "warning" signs. I made a change to my sketch (for the revolve) and now all the holes that were associated with the face have errors on them, and the feature patterns are not working at all. Is there a way to fix these errors?

Phenom
Phenom

Reattach the holes(hole sketch) to the new face.  Check, and repair the pattern, if any thing there is gone, or just out of whack.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1