Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do a solid with a 3D surface

Pioneer
Pioneer

All:

New to NX, using NX11, and I have a question about how to model an extrusion with a swept 3D surface.  I've attached a .zip file with 7 screen shots showing the model, and how we did the extrusion in AutoDesk Inventor.  The first 4 shots show the finished extrusion from 4 different isometric views.  The fifth one shows where the geometry comes from, two 2D drawings at a right angle to each other.  In Inventor, we would use a "3D intersection" feature to project the appropriate points from the 2D geometry (just like you did on the drafting board... remember those?)  The points would be used to create a surface, which would then be extruded to the existing solid model geometry.

I'm not concerned about how I get there in NX11, I'd just like some input on how the folks who are adept with NX would go about it.  The only caveat is, the result must be a solid model, not a combination of solid/surface model.  This is due to client preference.  Thanx for your support!

Ed B. 

12 REPLIES

Re: How to do a solid with a 3D surface

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @lonesome-joe,

• "Sketch" to create the 2D profiles.
  • "Extrude" to extrude the main body
  • "Combined Projection" to create the "3D Intersection" feature (curves)
  • "Through Curves" to create a surface using the projected curves
  • "Extrude" to extrude the Through Curves surface and unite it with the previous Extrude.

Does that help?

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer
I will give it a try! Thanx for your help!

Phenom
Phenom

Here are some few quick options for you.

In the Part Navigator, unsuppress (=click the empty box in front of) "Option_01 & option_02" groups individually and check the most desirable method for you.

Note: Edit the  sketch elements and the model will update aparametrically.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Here's the part I created, from which my steps were used, just in case you were curious...

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom

I like @BenBroad's approach.

Because I tend to be "Extrude-centric" instead of "surface-centric" I would like to suggest one seemingly subtle change.

Instead of extruding complex surface downward like this:

extrude-1.jpg

I would conceptually see the model as extruding the region highlighted of the original sketch upward to the swept surface like this:

extrude-2.jpg

In essence, what I am doing is using the complex surface as the endcap of the Extrude feature.

To do this, I use two specific options with Extrude to make it simple and robust.

(1) To select the four curves, I select them with one click in the center using the Curve Rule = Region Boundary Curves.

(2) For the end limit of the Extrude, I use Until Extended, and select the swept surface. NX will extend the surface if it needs to, to completely cap the extrusion.

extrude-3.jpg

It is just the way I think of Extrude; thinking about the end cap as the extrude limit.

I also find selecting by region to be quite robust.

I agree with Mark. I guess I wanted to show that a complex surface could be used to drive the extrusion, but in this case the sketch should really be used to drive the extruded section, as he explains.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi, BenBroad!

I'm following up on my question yesterday regarding the 3D surface/extrusion.  I'm using the procedure you suggested with mixed results.  I sketched the two profiles at 90degrees to one another, and extruded them both successfully.  When I try the "Combined Projection", I get errors, see attached.  Both profiles extruded successfully, so I'm thinking they must "form a single chain", however, NX11 disagrees.  Can you tell what I'm doing wrong?  If you need more info, holler.  Thanx for your support, discussion forums are da bomb for the "new software learning curve"!!

Ed 

Pioneer
Pioneer
Oooops, I found my error... also found that the approach isn't gonna give me quite what I want.... Time to look again! Thanx for all your help!
Ed

Pioneer
Pioneer

BenBroad:

I'm having a problem with entity selection, see attached screen shots.  When you used the Combined Projection feature, you selected part of each sketch.  I can't get NX11 to select only some of the entities in the sketch, it insists on selecting all or nothing.  I tried all the Selection Filter options, either they had no effect, ot they prevented NX11 from selecting anything.  How did you select only some of the entities?  Thanx.

Ed