Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find angle for Slider hole/Angualr pin angle in Mold Design

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I have one problem and that only what confuse me and I can't get answer. 

This is example from real plastic part mold example and I want to understand this example with sliders. I know that H /L = is angle , but here Angle is different when I divide H /L and I still don't understand how here Mold designer has angular pin angle 20.

I hope you guys can help me to solve this.

Thank you so much

Information what I have are : H = 60 mm (Angular pin opening) , L = 17.7 mm (Slider path to part), what esle parameters I need to solve this and to get angle of angular pin 18 degree same as from this example?

If this is inncorrect or mold designer put 18 degree on his own , 

I need clearly answer : what parameters I need to find angular pin angle for Sliders when we design Mold for plastic.

slider ..jpg

7 REPLIES

Re: How to find angle for Slider hole/Angualr pin angle in Mold Design

Pioneer
Pioneer
Anyone who is Mold Designer in NX ? Can you help me,please

Phenom
Phenom

This sounds like a trigonometry question.

The ArcTan(17.7/60) = 16.436 deg.

If your angle is at least 16.436, you will get at least the 17.7 motion of the slider.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_functions

Pioneer
Pioneer
How did you get 16.436?

17.7 / 60
and what number then to get 16.436?

Pioneer
Pioneer
Can you tell me how to get 16.436 ?
Thanks

@nedimd,

Need to use trigonometry

Basictan.png

Hope u got the answer!!!!!

Thanks,

Devaraj

Phenom
Phenom

If you don't know trigonometry, you can make a simple sketch in NX to study the geometry.

Sketch a triangle. Of the three dimensions, make one of them a reference dimension.

For example, here, I made the angle a reference dimension to see what angle I get with the two values you gave.

trig01.jpg

If you make the linear dimension the reference instead of the angle, you can change the angle to see what values of linear motion you get. For example, here you can see how much linear motion you would get if you used a round number of 18 deg for the angle.

trig02.jpg

Phenom
Phenom

t’s a general practise to have a 2° difference from the slide to the pin. This is to ensure while closing, the slider rides freely along the 18° hole and wedged in to 20° angle only at the closed position. 

image.png

From above you can find minimum “x” and determine required min pin length to achieve “L” travel. Add some extra length to pin to be safe.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW