Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to finish the kind of bend on sheetmetal ?

Creator
Creator

Hello, people, sorry for asking this kind of nooby question,  

I am now trying to make a simple sheet metal product which is supposed to be too easy to have any problems,

YET, I can't do this kind of bending on my product only with "Bend", it seems like it has some kind of restriction or stuff like that. 

This pic below is to show the bending that I want to make in NX 10, but it's actually under "PTC Creo" enviroment.

Thanks a lot. Smiley Happy擷取.JPG

7 REPLIES

Re: How to finish the kind of bend on sheetmetal ?

Creator
Creator

擷取.JPG

when I wanna do the second bend, It just wouldn't work. 

You guys have any ideas about this ?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Creator
Creator

擷取.JPG

Thank you @GaneshKadole 

but it seems like there's another problem, originally, the length should be 5.1mm when it's unbent. But I use "jog", it seems like the length of hte  sheetmetal would be automatically adjusted. The pic above, is surely not 5.1 mm when it's unbent.

Siemens Phenom

@knockitover,

There are many ways in NX to achieve the desired result, it really depends on the complete design required.

For this simple design you can:

• add flanges (using the 'bend outside' inset type)
  • add a jog (as @GaneshKadole mentions)
  • use Contour Flange and generate the entire design from a sketch

I have attached an NX10 part with all three solutions included (edit the features to see the methods used).  I would strongly recommend you contact your reseller for a training program to get the best value from NX.

Dave

Creator
Creator

Thank you so much @Dave_Walker,
I know there are multiple ways to finish this simple task,
but I meant if I use Jog, it will automatically adjust the length.
If I use flange, then I will have to calculate the dimensions in advanced.
And if I use contour flange, I have to know all dimensions.
What I am actually saying that, If I only know the unbend length, and the exact edges to bend, no other dimensions.
then how can I solve it out ?
I am sorry it's a bit complicated.

Siemens Phenom

@knockitover wrote:
What I am actually saying that, If I only know the unbend length, and the exact edges to bend, no other dimensions.
then how can I solve it out ?
I am sorry it's a bit complicated.

So if your design starts with the unbent length then you need to know your manufacturing parameters.  NX calculates the unbent length based on the parameters you enter for the neutral factor (the internal plane that does not compress or stretch when you bend the material).

2018-05-15 09_20_26-Bend.jpgSheet Metal bend parameters

It is unusual to start with the unbent length when designing sheet metal parts however there are methods for that (some of which get easier with the latest release of NX!).

I have attached the part again with an alternate method you may like to consider.  I would not recommend this as a general workflow thoughSmiley Happy - design the part and compute the unbent length based on the manufacturing process.

Dave

Creator
Creator

@Dave_Walker Much appreciate it. I'll try to figure it out.