cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to import multitple bodies into unique part?

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

I´ve been dealing with customer that work withSolid Works and share files with me. I just open SLD files with "Open Document", but some sldprt have multiple bodies, NX transform these in strucure assembly naming files such as body_1, body_2, body_n. However when I open another file in another session of NX, the same file names are created by NX, therefore when I need to use these files at the same time I have a problem because NX do not open two files with the same name in different paths. Anybody knows how to open a multibody in a unique part? Or how to open files with same names in another path?

I need to do this because the customer send me files at different times.

5 REPLIES

Re: How to import multitple bodies into unique part?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am not sure if I understand properly your problem, anyway I try:

You can open the SW document, then make a not associated wavelink so you have all the bodies in the upper prt file, then delete from structure the components, so you have a unique prt file containing all the bodies. Is that?

Legend
Legend

I create a folder with the file name, move the file there,  then I open the file. the assembly explodes into that folder, that way nothing gets overwritten. You can then wave link into one file or do a save as and rename the components as needed

I do this with step and iges assemblies as well, because when you select the flatten assembly option it can really make a mess of the geometry. putting all on a few layers

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 11.0.2.7 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2017 r2
Testing:NX12 EAP
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro K2200 on Win10 Pro

Solution Partner Creator

Hi @Javiduc and @R_Newcomb! I've tested your propose and it solved my problem, but I need to know what files have multiple bodies to do it. Therefore on Master PRT it makes a heavy file which is too slow to work. I think NX needs more options to import Solid Works files, because we shared projects everytime with everybody. Do you know if NX has more options to import?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I dont know about any better method to do that. I have been only 1.5 years using NX.

If the problem is only the size and slow behavior of the file, maybe you can use lightweight representations when loadind that part ( I am not sure if that is the proper word in English, I mean the feather symbol option).

Solution Partner Creator

Hi @Javiduc, I've tried Wave, but our assemblies had more than 1000 components. We spend a lot of time to do the procedure and the options for large assemblies (lightweight, partial load) are not help us. Anyway I´ve been using clone assemblies that duplicate structure with prefix or sufix name rules.