Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to link Part family instance with expression?

Dear Members,

I am looking for the option to link the Part-family member with an expression dynamically. Please share if there is any option to achieve it.

For example:

The part family table contains the unique entry as “Item” number. And the assembly where the member called has expression to locate. Then we can use it to filter out exact member by applying criteria.

The problem is this expression doesn’t remain associative to criteria condition or at least I am aware.

Please refer attached image for more understanding.

Thanks in advance.

NX 11 native mode

5 REPLIES

Re: How to link Part family instance with expression?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I presume that [lower-case] "item" is an expression in your assembly?

If so, then I think what you're seeing is the fact that the Part Family member re-selection does not generally happen automatically.  There is a toolbar (or menu) command that will invoke this particular "Part Family Update".  (Menu --> Assemblies --> Components --> Part Family Update)  Try poking that, and see if you don't get the update you expect (and a report explaining which part family members were replaced and for which reasons.)

Within Product Template Studio, we added this Part Family Update as one of the standard update options, so if you know that a particular expression will be driving a change like this, you can automatically invoke this update whenever that expression is changed throuhg the Product Template interface.

Does that help?

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

It worked for me @TaylorAnderson, in NX11 and NX12.

Thanks Anderson!

Yes, it works this way.

Do we have any trigger mechanism, that makes part family update after there is change in “item” value? This will eliminate the user interaction.

We have NX-Open license but not PTS.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There's no out-of-the-box way to make this automatic today.  (That's why we added the hooks in PTS.)  But that would be a good ER.  And as of a couple of months ago, I know the new Product Manager for Part Families really well.  ;-)

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Sure Andeson!

I will raise an ER.

Thank you very much.