Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model emboss by curves resulting in a continuous shape without edges?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Someone would like to use a string of curves lying on a face to pull the face upwards in order to get a model of a type-writer type showing a letter or many letters.
He also has offset curves strings around his string of curves to form a boundary for the face to be deformed.
The intention is that the cross section of the pulled zone should look like a gaussian bell curve. There should not be any edges between the original face and the slope. And best value would be the possibility to control the slew rate.
I can remember, once upon a time there was an MCAD System I supported called I-deas, and it contained a Master Surfacing function called Emboss Curve which did just that kind of job.
Now I have looked quite some time to find a similar possibility in NX8.5 and I've come quite close with global shaping, but it required loops of curves and it did not produce the proper shape when the curve strings altered between being convex and concave. So I did not get a proper "letter-like" shape.
Emboss produces draft faces at the sides, so there's no gaussian cross section.
A Sheet Metal Bead would also be somehow resembling.

Can anyone give me a clue how to realise this requirement?

Thanks in advance,
UdoMM

9 REPLIES

Re: How to model emboss by curves resulting in a continuous shape without edges?

Phenom
Phenom

Have you looked at Global Shaping?

global_shaping_function

EDIT: re-reading your original post, it does say you tried Global Shaping, Teach me to skim the question.

Re: How to model emboss by curves resulting in a continuous shape without edges?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello agrivas,

thank you for your message.
Yes, I tried Global shaping and what I've achieved is to be seen in the 1st screenshot I attach to this reply: This was done using Global Shaping Type "Open Region". You can see the shape is not following the region limit curves in the middle part.
The best I could achieve was the simple result shown in the 2nd Screenshot, where I only used some single curves. Still it took NX minutes to calculate it, there was no decent dynamic preview and it only worked at the 3rd approach.

As the use case is an insert for injection moulding carrying the shape for a text, I would need a stable practice for a bit more complex geometry.
Best Regards,
UdoMM

Phenom
Phenom

I had not used global shaping like this before.

I could not get Global Shaping to work with a profile like this.

attached is a file with a few approaches I could think of.

emboss.png

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello agrivas,

thank you for the sample part.

You're right, it does not necessarily have to be done by Global Shaping.
Form your approaches I think the shape which comes closest is achieved by the VSweep(12) (the 4th in the row), but why is this one missing the endcap shapes?

I also thought about sweeping, but for the actual use case we do not only have one of those curves but many, for it is a tool shaped by a text comprised of quite a few letters.
And what I did not mention yet: Those letters may look like "M" (having sharp edges) or "T" (having branches) or even "t" (having crossing curves). I'm afraid we're running into calamities if we use sweeps. 

So, although it's not exactly what I am looking for, I try the General Pad now. But so far I haven't been successful getting a result as NX keeps throwing error messages at me like "Unable to create placement blend". I think I need some hints on coping with that good old General Pad function - apart from reading the cue / status line messages, of course... 

I would still appreciate very much if there was a functionality similar to the I-deas Emboss Curve feature.

Experimenter
Experimenter

OK, I finally managed to use General Pad:

Screenshot - 27.04.2016 , 14_20_00.png

But as this is not quite what I intended, I went on to Extrude with offset using the center curves only (which would be nice because there's no need to create so many boundary curves) and edge blends,  but this results in flat end faces instead of conics and the workflow wasn't really smooth:

Screenshot - 27.04.2016 , 14_38_31.pngResult using Extrude & Edge Blend

Next, using boudary curves again for Extrude & Blend, I think this is not very far from General Pad:
Screenshot - 27.04.2016 , 14_45_12.png

Still not really what I intended in the 1st place but let's see wheter the customer accepts it...

I would still appreciate very much if there was a functionality similar to the I-deas Emboss Curve feature.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"I would still appreciate very much if there was a functionality similar to the I-deas Emboss Curve feature."

Log an Incident Report (IR) with GTAC. If the functionality already exists in NX, they will point you to it; if it does not, they can convert your IR to an Enhancement Request (ER). Each product cycle, the developers look over the ER's to decide what new features to add. Your wish won't be known/considered unless you contact GTAC.

Legend
Legend
Did you try Design Feature--> Emboss ? It works wirh closed curves. You need to put edge blend seperate.

Phenom
Phenom

one of the examples in the file I posted uses emboss

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello everyone,

thanks for your input.

Yes, I tried Emboss in the very 1st place - think I mentioned that. It does not give me control of the flank shape and it does not produce a gaussian-curve-like cross section, not even basic blending but only sharp edges and the biggest drawback: it requires closed loops instead of just an open chain of curves. So it's not really straightforward for the given use case.

By the way, meanwhile I can share a picture of how the input looks like:

Screenshot - 03.05.2016 , 09_23_01.png

The gray curves are the control curves for the shape, the red curves are the boundary.

Meanwhile I have proposed to the user to use Extrude Body with draft and edge blends although this is not really what my intention was. And it does not work with his actual given parameters for geometrical reasons, which he might not have considered in the 1st place (presumably an undercut).

Unbenannt.png

So I consider this a workaround, but still miss the legacy emboss curve functionality which I was really confident to find in NX.

Thanks for your support, maybe I'd really try GTAC.

Cheers,

UdoMM