Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move one end of an object?

Creator
Creator

Hi all,

Currently trying to move one end of a part im working with to be on the surface of the platform while keeping the rear of the part in the exact location. I am extremely new to UG so a lot of this is quite confusing to me with the few english tutorials I have found. So I essentially want to angle the front end of the part down to touch the surface of the platform. I have attached a photo to help show what I mean.

Model 1.jpg

12 REPLIES

Re: How to move one end of an object?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Have you looked at synchronous modeling? Move Face or Pull Face?

Ben

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Do you want the middle section to deform as the front end moves down?

If so, your best bet is probably "global shaping"; or, if a faceted body is an acceptable result, use the CAE tools to apply a displacement to the front while keeping the back fixed.

Creator
Creator

No I need the body of the entire object to be the exact same just the front end touching the surface of the platform without any deformation at all.

Creator
Creator

I have tried both;

Move face does not allow me to do anything as it says I must input a value larger than 0 but I need the distance between the face and platform to be 0. And pull face disforms the front end of my object. I need both ends touching the platform so the object will be slanted but parallel on those ends.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Is this an assembly of two parts? If so, you can rotate the green component around the back edge until the front touches, or (even easier) use touch constraints between the edges of the green component and the face of the block.

Creator
Creator

Yes I can make it an assembly. However, when I try to use a touch constraint the green part doesnt move to the block or vice versa. Like I said, I am very new to the program so I do not know if it is something simple I am missing.

Creator
Creator

Here is the part with a touch constraint.After Touch Constraint.jpg

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It looks like you can use just a simple 'Move' command.

I attached a compressed movie file approximating your part showing the procedure.

I just drew 2 lines to define an angle of rotation.

Creator
Creator

Yes that is extremely helpful. Thank you!