Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to place objects at a specific location on the drawing?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I would like to be able to place various drawing objects such as notes, tables and even sometimes views at specific locations on the drawing.  Is there any way to do this?

One reason one might want this functionality is to be able to anchor a general notes block in a consistent location within the field of different drawings.  Another use would be to consistently locate special data tables that might be found on drawings of gears, springs etc.  These are not things I want to build into th drawing title block or standard format.

I was previously a user of Pro/E and any object could be located via an anchor point at any coordinate (i.e. x mm, y mm from bottom left corner of the drawing sheet).  If nothing else, it made it easy to keep things tidy and consistent.

2 REPLIES

Re: How to place objects at a specific location on the drawing?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @KyleChrystal,

Yes, it is possible to place objects at specific locations.

For Notes and Tables, look for the "Origin Tool" located on the top of the respective dialogs:

Screenshot - 7_3_2017 , 1_19_57 PM.png

Once opened select the "Point Constructor" icon and change the Origin Location to "Point Constructor":

Screenshot - 7_3_2017 , 1_22_05 PM.png

With Type set to "Inferred Point" and Reference set to "Drawing" change your Offset Option to Rectangular and enter in your desired X and Y offsets - based on the Drawing Sheet origin (bottom left of drawing):

Screenshot - 7_3_2017 , 1_18_46 PM.png

For Base and Projected views, expand the Tracking section within the View Origin block of the dialog.  Check the Cursor Tracking checkbox and enter in your desired X and Y values, again based on the Drawing Sheet origin:

Screenshot - 7_3_2017 , 1_27_04 PM.png

Regards, Ben

Re: How to place objects at a specific location on the drawing?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Perfect - thank you!  I knew this capability must exist.