Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

How to "constrain" an imported body within a part?

Wondering if there is a way to "constrain" a body within a part to a feature of the part.

Example:  An insert is imported (STEP) into a part, and ideally would be constrained to a hole in the part.  If the hole is moved, the insert would move with the hole.

I come from I-DEAS, and this could easily be done by adding one part to another, with relations.

Am I missing an obvious solution to my question?

Another way to handle this is with an assembly, but sometimes we would prefer to have multi-body parts with relations between the bodies.

6 REPLIES

Re: How to "constrain" an imported body within a part?

I haven’t seen Multibody Mates in NX, as you find in other CAD software.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW

There are no constraints available for bodies within the same part file, but you might be able to get something workable by using associative distance measurments and associative move object features.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author dseniff
‎09-21-2016 04:54 PM

I submitted my question to GTAC and received the following response: "The functionality to constrain a body to another body within the same prt file is currently not available. There has been another enhancement request(ER) recently submitted to development team requesting this same functionality, I will link your IR to that existing ER to increase customer request count." The ER # is 7774194.

Well there are some techniques which can be used, such as creating Datum Planes {offset laterally/angularly or fixed) from say a CSYS and then use Transform to position (associatively) the 'body' relative to these Datum Planes.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Hi,

Can you try out synchronous also for the same (i know it is not exactly what you wanted but still worth giving a try).

I am attaching a movie herewith (sorry it is a very very crude movie). Do let us know if you have some example case we can try it out on.

Best Regards

Kapil

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author dseniff
‎09-22-2016 11:39 AM

I tried synchronous (coaxial & coplanar) and it seems to be a good "workaround".  When the hole is moved, the related body moves as well.

Thanks Kapil!