Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove Promote body in Assembly Nx9

Builder
Builder

Hi everybody

I have a assembly. I want to change length my assembly. I ussed Promote body . affter Mover face length my assembly. after delete my Promote body but my length assembly is not change. How to remove Promote boy and length assembly changed.

my video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCKu-Z48Eu8

Thanks you very much

Le Dung

Nx 9

18 REPLIES

Re: How to remove Promote body in Assembly Nx9

Phenom
Phenom

I'm not sure what you were execpting to accomplish with the Promote body function. What you did was exactly the results you should get. Personally, I would stay away from the Promote function...it is, for the most part, a legacy function and has been replaced with interpart linking (aka WAVE) and direct editing functions.

As I see it, you have two options:

1. Make you size changes in your work parts and this can be done many different ways

2. Use Direct Modeling tools to change your length

Builder
Builder

Hi RyanM

thanks you for your suppport. I dont understand what is Promote body. I only use it because after active Promote body I can change length my assembly.

As I see it. two your options :

1. make zie change in work part : it is very slow with a Big Assembly have very much Part.

2.  Use Direct Modeling : I dont looking " Direct Modeling tools " in Nx. Is it as Sychonous modeling ? can do it  change size a Big Assembly in Nx?

my Big Assembly include 30- 3000 parts Smiley Sad

Thanks

Phenom
Phenom

Yes, Direct Modeling is Synchronous Technology.

If you are looking to make large changes with simple drag and stretch method you best design method might just be ST.

If you are looking to make your assembly "conifgurable" you will need to make you parts more intelligent/programmable. Look at Expressions and root part cascade in spreadsheet or Export Expression file (all parts in assembly option) to send top level expressions quickly down into your assembly components. This pretty simple to do in NX and very powerful as it makes changes to files without the need of Linked bodies or interpart linking of any nature. Here you are just replacing expression values in your piecve parts. (i.e. Having Length=150 at the assembly level and exporting expressions to file replaces the Length expression in all the child parts.) Once this exported your assembly parts start updating and you mating conditions should update as well.

When you promote, your are copy and making a permanent link to the child component into the assembly. This will significantly increase your assembly file size as the assemlby will not contain the solid geometry definitions.

What you can do is to Link your solid bodies into your assembly (not using promote) and then use move face. You will have one problem here and that will be mating conditions. Sinvce you are applying changes to the solid model in the assembly these changes don't effect the parent file that the mating conditions are applied to.

I'm not a ST expert in NX by any means but I am sure there are others that can comment on how to make the changes quickly and across multiple files.

Builder
Builder

Hi RyanM

My assbly is a big Machine, format file is Step or Iges . not Nx Part file , so it is not parameter is edit.

I want to Move length assembly . If i use Wake geometry linker to link solid bodies , After My assembly => Part ( I have just rename again , it is vey long time  to export 2D drawing)

Thanks you very much

Phenom
Phenom
If you are dealing with imported solids You could simple export the solids into a single file, use ST to move your faces and then break apart the assay if needed.

Builder
Builder

hi

But after I export into a single file , I can ST to Move face. but then all them are a Parte . is not Assembly. I can export 2D drawing. I have just rename them. It is very long time. Smiley Sad

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

RyanM wrote:

... Personally, I would stay away from the Promote function...it is, for the most part, a legacy function and has been replaced with interpart linking (aka WAVE) and direct editing functions.

Not completely agree with your sentence. If I remember correctly, some time ago (old forums time) someone pointed that in first time the promote function was flagged as "to be retired". In second step anyway it was maintained and it is so far completely supported exacly as WAVE.

Fabio
I use NX10 with Gerrit Koelewijn configuration utilities. Thanks to Rob Cohon.

Builder
Builder

Smiley Indifferent

I don know. who can help me, I want to change size of assembly

Phenom
Phenom

Explain to me how else you would accomplish what you are desiring to do? If you want to maintain an assembly structure you will need to make changes to individual files. If you want to make all your changes at one time then you would need to flatten your assembly structure to make the changes. Basically, you are flattening your structure by doing the promote but your changes will only be reflected in your assembly and not the piece part level. 

Now, I'm going to propose something that the NX users aren't going to agree with. Get a trial version of Solid Edge. You can do what you are asking using the Synchronous Tools inside of SE. You can set your selection mode to face priority, make your window selection and drag your faces out. After all if you are working on imported data (STEP and IGES) you have no parameters to limit your ability to make the changes.

I am hoping that someone with more NX Sync Tech will provide some other solutions- for both of us.