Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to save toolbar settings without restarting NX

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi everyone,

Sometimes NX crashes when my computer is low in memory, all my setting changes are lost for that session. I tried the command "save layout", but it doesn't seem to work. I know that it relys on whether the 'user.mtx' file is properly saved. Is there a better way than a restart?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES

Re: How to save toolbar settings without restarting NX

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The "save layout" option should work as long as NX closes under normal conditions. If NX crashes, all bets are off.

If you know that you need to do a lot of customization, I'd suggest opening a single part, doing the customizations, then close and restart NX before working on large assemblies.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Also saving a Role after making any changes using the Customize options will also provide you with a way to recover them when needed. 

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

A role is the only way to keep your settings. I am still not able to pinpoint it or reproduce exactly what is happening. But my experience is that the user.mtx can't be trusted with your settings. 

The problem with this is that modifying something in modeling might change/loose something in another application. So, after working a few days in modeling you see something has changed in manufacturing. But unless you switch through every application you use when you are customizing you won't notice if something unexpectly changes in another application. 

Unfortunately I can't find a reproducable way of proving this. I only have the changing user.mtx files. But not a good idea what is causing it. 

W10 NX12.0.2.9

Pioneer
Pioneer

As pointed out by John, I think the only way is to save it to a role, if crash happens, replace the user.mtx with the mtx file in the roles folder.

Thank you!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You don't have to replace the old 'user.mtx', just open your session and select your previously saved Role, and then exit NX which will automatically replace the last 'user.mtx' file.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA