Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to show FPS=frames per second in NX when 3D-modelling ?

Genius
Genius

Hello

How to show FPS=frames per second in NX when 3D-modelling ?

- Is there a test in NX to see how well current PC performs with it ?

I say the laptop Zbook15 Generation 1=G1 from 2014 is lagging in large assemblies: i7 4800MQ, K2100M, 12gb RAM.

The other guy says it is lagging because of the internet Mbps( Current speed=1.0Gbps ) and Teamcenter server.

Does Teamcenter server \ connection really have an effect when viewing and rotating a large assembly in NX ?

12 REPLIES

Re: How to show FPS=frames per second in NX when 3D-modelling ?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

as for the FPS rate, there was such option to display it next to the tips displayed on the bottom of the screen. I used it in NX2 or NX4. You could turn it on somewhere in Menu->Preferences->Visualisation Performance, but I cannot find it now. I think it was ermoved quite a few NX versions ago. So, I think you cannot display it now.

If your machine is lagging when dealing with big assemblies, you can try to turn on some options in Visualisation Performance window, but I don't expect dramatic change.

When you open your model in NX, the internet connection speed should not impact the performance, once the model is loaded.

regards

WZ

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @12131444 !

You can turn on Frame Rate display under Preferences -> Visualization Performance, at the bottom of the Large Model tab. Toggle "Show Frame Rate" ON. It will now show FPS in the status bar:

frame_rate_toggle.JPG

To evaluate, you can see if this helps: in the same Perferences, under the "General Graphics" tab, at the bottom, hit the "Evaluate Graphics Performance" button:

eval_perf.JPG

For more, these references in Help might be useful:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/12/nx_help/#uid:best_practices_bp_lrgassy_visual_per...

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/12/nx_help#uid:xid1128416:index_customizing_nx:id135...Smiley Tongue

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@PatMcManus- Hi,

I am using NX11, and I don't have this option in Visualisation Performance Preferences:FPS.png

Could you please advise what may be the reason?

regards

WZ

Genius
Genius
I use too NX 11 and I don't have "Show Frame Rate" check box and "Evaluate Graphics Performance" is greyed out \ disabled.

Siemens Phenom

HI @12131444 !

The Evaluation tool has been around a while, so the version of NX should not matter.

I think you need to need to have at least 1 part open in your NX session.

If you just start NX and go to the Preferences from Gateway, with no part active, the button will be grey.

Sorry, forgot to mention that yesterday.

For the Frame Rate toggle, do you perhaps have your "Settings" group collapsed?

Genius
Genius

I opened 1pc part and Evaluate Graphics Performance is now usable.

Still no "Show Frame Rate"-checkbox. NX 11.0.2.7.

rerer555.jpg

Genius
Genius

The result of NX 11 Graphic Performance Evaluation:

It though did not show if my laptop is good enough to perform well... Would have hoped for a score like 3Dmark and labels such as: Very Poor, Poor, Low, Medium, Good, Outstanding and such...

What is "Backface Culling" max.32% percent increase ?

Untitgfgled.jpg

Siemens Phenom

HI @12131444 !

For some tips on understanding the Evaluation results reference this TDoc article:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:index_customizing_nx:id1358586Smiley Tonguerefere...Smiley Tongue

Backface culling will ignore the facets in the back that you can't see. For a better description:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uidSmiley Tonguereferences_prf_vpp_gen_t

The goal of the Evaluate command is to guide you on how to setup Preferences to get the most performance out of the graphics/computer you already have.

It is not a tool that allows you to compare the graphics on one computer to those on another (like 3DMark, etc...). There are already plenty of resources out there for that info with NX creating another.

Having said that, you might be able to loosely correlate the advice that Evaluate gives, among different systems, to get a rough ranking.

For example, your system (Quadro K2100m?) says you can get a significant 32% increase by turning ON Backface Culling. My system (Quadro m1000m) tells me that turning that on will give limited benefit.

Combine those results with the comment in the TDoc (see above link) that turning this ON "...can significantly improve graphics performance, especially on low-end and mid-range graphics devices."

So I could possibly infer from that:

- seems like your graphics could be considered "low-end and mid-range graphics device" and...

- my card seems to be a better performing card than yours

But that it does not give you are hard numbers you can use to qualify those differences.

Trying to check that through an independent source, this one shows my card ~2x "faster":

https://technical.city/en/video/Quadro-M1000M-vs-Quadro-K2100M

But we are straying from your original question on Wed:

Does Teamcenter server \ connection really have an effect when viewing and rotating a large assembly in NX ?

No. That would impact the first-time loading and display of the assy, but once it's loaded, and you are doing the dynamic rotation, that should be governed by the graphics card.

That's not to say there might not be other HW impact going on, but I don't see how Tc/Network could impact it.

Without knowing anything about your particular Assy, size, structure, or Assy Loading options, it's hard to offer more specific advice, but there are plenty of old discussions on the general topic of "large assembly performance" that might be helpful to you.

P.S. - Almost forgot: no idea why you are not seeing the Frame Rate option. I tried using the same NX 11 version. I wondered if you might have using an in-board Intel Graphics instead of your GPU, so I disabled my GPU and tried, and I still get the FPS option, so not sure why that's happening for you.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

RE: Frame rate

I'm using NX10, this changes a bit depending on version...

- If you care about how your icons/dialogs are set up, save a role (roles tab in the resource bar - looks like a hammer)

- try selecting the role (under "Content") - "Advanced"

- does frame rate show up?

- if you want your layout of icons/etc. restored, open your "saved" role

Could be you are using the "essentials" role which hides that option?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled