Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use 'expressions' while creating Helix

Legend
Legend
Hi, How can I use 'expressions' while creating Helix using 'turns' in Method for helix length. See image. UsingNX 9.0.3 MP11
7 REPLIES

Re: How to use 'expressions' while creating Helix

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes I see what you mean no connection to expression options.

Suggest creating a formula in Expression Editor to work out the end limit from a number of turns expression and us the Limit method.

Steve V

Phenom
Phenom

For some reason the expression is not accessible from the helix dialog.

Probably worth a PR to GTAC

The expression is created and editable from the expression dialog.

helix.PNG

Legend
Legend
Found a work around :-) Copy text of your expression name and paste it in dialogue. Please check and let me know if it works for you.

Siemens Phenom

Hi Mark,

If you copy and paste the expression and later on change the expression it will have no impact.

(it will not change the turns in the helix)

Best Regards

Kapil

Siemens Phenom

Smiley Sad apologies.... i was wrong... it indeed changes.

Best Regards

Kapil

Phenom
Phenom

Unless the original question was regarding linking the Turns value to an existing expression.

There is no need to create an additional expression, the helix feature command does create an expression. The only difference is the expression editor "=" shortcut on the "Turns" value is not available from the helix feature dialog. (oversight by programmer?)

In my screenshot of the expression editor there is an expression "p13" that was created when the 'helix feature was.

Open the expression editor and edit the value or rename it there.

Legend
Legend
Yes. you are right. Only differencce in workflow is : you need to create helix first, then go back to expression editor and change the name.

If you create the expression first, then you cn copy or type in the name while creating the helix.
Thanks for your suggestion and feedback. I did not know that it creates the expression for 'turn'