Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use log file to write into the specific expression

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I have a question. For sample, in NX Expression. I have A="Name", B=1, C=2, D=3.

In LOG Note file (in my C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/List.log), I have A="Change", C=4 in this log file.

I want to create some function. So NX will load this LOG Note file, and Find all IDs in it, then changed the same ID in NX Expression.

NX will have A="Name" => A="Change", B=1, C=2 => C=4, D=3.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best wishes!

Edward

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How to use log file to write into the specific expression

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You can export expressions to a text file, edit the file, and import the expressions to update them.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10.0.3/nx_help#uid:expressions_exp_import_file_forma...

You should be able to use journaling for this as well.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

Yes, but I only want to edit few of expressions. For sample, I have 5 expressions. A=1, B="Yes", C=3, D="Floor", E=5

And I would like to load some file (log file or excel). For sample, in the file, we could have A=3, D="SKY". Or B="No", E=1.... And I can run the journal to load this file to only edit the item in the file to expression.

Best wishes!

Edward

Note the expression file does NOT need to have ALL expressions in it - just the ones you want to edit

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your remider.

Yes, I understand. But I found if I export the expression. There will be all the expressions to export. How can I open choose few expressions to export?

My purpose is to only select few of the expressions to create the .exp file. Then open another NX file to import and load them. Smiley Happy

One option from my idea is use .exp file to import and replace some expressions.

Another option is, use Journal code to export some .log file or excel file or text file. Then run another Journal to load the value inside this file, and to change related Expression value in another NX file.

Do you have any advice or suggestion? Smiley Happy Thanks for your kindly support.

Best wishes!

Edward

So it exports everything?
(interactively) Use a text editor to get rid of what you don't want.

And once you know the format of the .EXP, you can always have a journal (or other program) create one "from scratch" (e.g. read the desired expression values in part A, then create an .EXP file yourself, with just the desired expressions, then load that EXP into part B).