Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I've imported points from file, now what?

Hello all,
My name is John I work in the Trenton Facility of Siemens in the drafting department. We are slowly getting into NX and some of us have just upgraded from NX9 to NX10. We have many point files as .txt of turbine vanes in a folder we are looking to create them as profiles and solids in NX. Each point file has a few dozen points, Studio spline command might be a little tedious for us converting all of these.

However I cannot find any other way to take points and make them into a series of tangent curves and then create a face or a solid. Fit Curve is the best thing I have found so far that can do this select-connect-the-dots quickly but the vane profile is more of a wavy spline then it is a series of nice curves. 

Attached is our vane profile in points we would like to be converted to a profile.

Is there any easy way of doing this without clicking every single point?

7 REPLIES

Re: I've imported points from file, now what?

Look into four point surface and fit surface.  I do not have much experience with these except I used it once for tyring to fit a surface to a coniflex bevel gear.

You can also use fit curve with the lasso selection to divide up the input points into section and do a multi select. In my example I use fit curve 5 times to get the shape.

Lasso.png

Scott

As you are likely going to be doing this alot, you might wnat to invest in a journal or API program to read the point file and create splines (or other curves as appropriate) directly from the data (and possibly create surfaces too).

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

I would be happy to write program(s) to help with your requirements.  To get us started just make available one typical data file.

A first program would simply ask the user to select a data file and the program would create a studio spline.

If required improvements could be made that might include arc segments with end slope controlled connecting studio splines.

Frank Swinkels

And do you get a nice profile with that command? I tried it and it gave me a wavy spline rather than a smoothe profile. Maybe I was doing it wrong but I like this command. 

The command I found is called Spline (to be retired)
it works magical perfect outline. but what does it mean when they say it will be retired? What will it be replaced by in NX11?

I have in the past in programs used the older spline, fitted spline and studio spline. Also with data files any program to read the point data I need to know if the values use comma, tab or space delimiters.  Finally it is possible to create multiple curves with connecting end control.  I can do nothing until I have one sample data file.

Frank Swinkels