Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to conduct a little survey about 'sketching'...

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

With all the comments that have been made recently in the thread titled "Is Sketcher really necessary or does it just add more time (cost) to design work?", it might be enlightening to take a little survey about now.

QUESTION:  For those who have already commented in the thread mentioned above, and anyone else who has been lurking, would you please respond and tell us what version(s) of NX are you using in production on a regular basis, and where you're creating models using operations such as Extrude, Revolve, Swept, etc. extensively, please indicate whether you're actually creating the majority of the 'profiles' used in these operations as Sketches or are you simply defining them as a network of individual curves?  It might prove insightful if you would also indicate how long you've been using UG/NX (this could be in terms of years and/or by noting the version you initially learned).

Now I'm not looking for any sort of justification one way or the other (we can delve into that later), just some idea of how prevalent is the use of sketching versus non-sketching as gleaned from an albeit small, but (by definition) vocal segment of the NX user community.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what all of us might learn here...

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
22 REPLIES 22

Re: I would like to conduct a little survey about 'sketching'...

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

We are a large Global Corporation that have used NX since UNIGRAPHICS V10 currently using NX8.5. From day one we decided to Sketch absolutely everything and built a large library of Reusable Standard Features (Hole Patterns, Seal Profiles etc) all Sketch based that used a home grown program to import into our Sketch based Models. We have now recreated this Library using the new Reusable Object with spreadsheet functionality which allows Drag and Drop positioning and size selection, again all Sketch based. How else could you create parametric shapes without the simplicity of Sketcher and constraints.

Having made the call to use sketcher from Day one has made our modeling techniques in all 15+ Design sites from Russia to India identical making sharing and ease of edit so simple.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

NX9

I started with UG v8 (1990?)

100% sketch based.

-Dave
NX 11 testing NX1847+ | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

nx8.5

90% sketch based

using NX for 5 or so years

I-DEAS for 12 years (This is the software I learned how to design in 3D)

90% sketch based models. 

Would it be possible for someone post a curve based model.  Even a simple one.  I would like to see how it works and try to mess with it for a bit. Always wanting to learn more about different modeling techniques. 

Thanks

Shane Deters

Genius
Genius
Started with NX3 (complete autodidact)
nearly 100% (know the curve Features but found no reason to use them instead of sketches)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Started with  NX1, almost everything is sketch based. I-deas user before NX, so that might be a reason everything is sketch based. 

Solids mostly start with extrude and revolve. I also use sketches for holes. So, not just points but fully constraint rectangulars, patterns and such, to get a custom hole layout. A line for 2 or 3 holes in a row, rectanguler for 1 to 8 holes, etc. 

W10 NX12.0.2.9
testing v1847

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

With our product (Lighting in the automotive industry), even after hiring ones from other companies, it looks like 100 percent non-sketcher and moving toward non-paramedic. Some are very apposed. It seems to be common for this product, in this industry, in this area.

I like sketch but use it sparingly here because of the teams comfort for it.

With the team that uses a competitive software, it is almost 80 percent use of sketcher. The competitive software users love it.

Cord

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Started in UG(NX) about 10 years ago. Was taught not to use sketch, just curves if needed. Boss didn't want anything to do with sketches.

Switched companies and we now do everything with sketches. Makes changes go a lot quicker. can't see going back to not using sketches.

Now using NX8.5.3, started about NX3 (I am guessing here).

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Started in UG-I (*not* UGII version 1) in 1984

Use sketches all the time.

Although I do NOT do "real" product design (pretty much all my sketches are used to define solids/features to test postprocessors).

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

We started using UG v8 in the early 90's I think it was. Now on NX8.5 for production.

Although not personally involved we were a test site or someting for 'UG Concept' and I think this was our first exposure to what became sketching.

Here in the UK we are ~90% sketch based. Only use basic curves when it is plainly prudent to do so. I can't speak for the several hundred other Sandvik users around the world though.

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Dell 7530 Precision, Win10, 32GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX12.0.2 MP1]