Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Assembly into Teamcenter (TC10.1-NX9)-----how to import drawing and its 3d file

Siemens Builder Siemens Builder
Siemens Builder

Hi experts,

I am testing utility Import Assembly into Teamcenter and the Item structure I want to get is

similar to this:

FEB2016.jpg

The problem is that I do not know how to select drawing and 3d files from OS in order to get the structure shown once the files are imported into TC

Any idea---?

5 REPLIES

Re: Import Assembly into Teamcenter (TC10.1-NX9)-----how to import drawing and its 3d file

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @FidelM,

This depends on whether the files originated from a Teamcenter managed database (and were exported correctly from Teamcenter) or whether you're working on files created in native NX.  You can assume the steps below work for both cases.

1) Use Add Part to add the 3D Model part to the command.  Select the Numbering tab and use the appropriate Import Numbering rule.  Set any remaining options and then return to the Main tab.  Hit "Set Defaults".  If you get prompted to enter/edit Part Attributes, make any changes and hit OK.

2) Use Add Part to add the Drawing part to the command.  Select the Numbering tab and select Exceptions beside the Import Numbering rule.  Highlight the drawing in the list, change the New Naming rule to "User Number" and hit OK.  Enter in the Part Number and Part Revision for the 3D Model part in Step 1 and then change Part File Type to Specification.  Enter the drawing name for "Part File Name" and choose OK. If you get prompted to enter/edit Part Attributes, make any changes and hit OK.

3) Select the main tab and hit Set Defaults.

4) Above the "Set Defaults" button, change Root Parts Only to "Full" and then hit "Report to Information window".  Verify that the drawing is being imported as a specification to the model.

5) Hit Execute.

Regards, Ben

Re: Import Assembly into Teamcenter (TC10.1-NX9)-----how to import drawing and its 3d file

Siemens Builder
Thanks a lot Ben...
it works OK....
Only one more question:
how have I to proceed if there more complex structure(I mean more Assembly levels (sub-assys)?

regards

Siemens Phenom

If the files were previously exported out of a Teamcenter managed NX session, importing them back in is a simpler process as the import command recognizes the associations and the drawings are automatically recognized as specifications to their masters.  As you have not mentioned this, I'll assume all of your parts were created in native NX.  Therefore:

• Add the assemblies as in step 1 and "Set Defaults".  This procedure allows the command to communicate with the database and defines the model parts as the masters.
  • Add the drawings as in step 2 - associate them with the assemblies and define them as specifications.  As the masters have already been defined, you can easily associate the drawings as specification to any master being imported (assembly, subassembly or component).

Regards, Ben

Siemens Builder

Hi Ben,

thanks a lot.

For thid topic I think that is not so clear documentation .

You clarification is very understandable (if You do not mind I am going to include in a document

for a training that a will deliver)

Once again thanks.

Regards

Siemens Phenom

@FidelM, yes, no problem.  Note, however, that the UI has changed in NX10 - just in case you were planning an upgrade any time soon Smiley Happy

Regards, Ben